1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Christmas cakes

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by karma drama, Nov 23, 2011.

1. Last year I made red and white stars out of icing and overlapped/alternated them around the top of the cake - it looked really nice.
    I love your previous designs, I may borrow one for this year's creation.

2. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Help yourself, feel free, I got some mini stars so am thinking on a dark blue with stars.................

3. Cestrian

Cestrian New commenter

Chocolate marzipan icing with gold stars and a gold bow

4. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Nice like the sound of that, but am thinking more of a deep blue for the sky with a big star amongst small ones, then a brownish colour for the ground maybe 3 camel silhouettes or just a hut and 1 camel?
    1 cake is to be no or little marzipan!

5. If I had any ability at all I'd make this

[​IMG]
    A cake full of Pingus! I love it.

6. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

3 cakes actually Cosmos, you could do the same with snowmen, easy to make with 2 balls of icing, currants for eyes, sliver of carrot for nose and 2 more smaller coloured bits of icing for the hat andscarf.

7. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Won't the carrot dry out and shrivel up?

8. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Depends on how long before Christmas you do it, use a bit of cherry or icing then.

9. I love the Pingu cake! That is amazing! If I actually liked Christmas cake I'd be very tempted to give that a go (although I get the impression it could be slightly tricky). Maybe I could do the same on a sponge cake.

(sorry, this is in no way helpful or relevant to the original post)

10. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

You could bake a sponge in a basin, try microwaving it, or a Bundt tin or an metal jellymould, cover with glacé icing then perch penguins or snowman all over.
    You can buy fondant icing in a packet to add water to, so that may work.

11. Oh! Good ideas! I may actually give this a go! Thank you [​IMG]

12. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

I am thinking of making the Pingu cake...............such fun!

13. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

We don't eat the cakes, I just make them for other people!!

14. I was planning on making an igloo cake with the grandchildren during the holidays - I'll have a go at the pingus. They're young enough still to be impressed with Granny's efforts......and polite enough not to laugh ( too much)

15. henriette

henriette New commenter

silver and crystal seem to be a popular theme this year

16. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

I'm thining of white with silver and crystal to be honest

17. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Didn't go with that but was listening to Vincent the other night and thouight Starry,Starry night..................... Anyway I'll put some pictures on if I can when they're done.

18. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

Oh, I love that song!
    Making my first batch of Xmas cupcakes next week - holding off so that we can have all the Christmassy smells in the house at once with the Christmas tree, Is there anything more lovely than the pine smells when you go and pick the Christmas tree???

19. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

I'm trying to get all the cakes done before I go into hospital, no date yet, so at least they'll be finished and I won't have to worry about them.

Treated myself to a pink TV and DVD player for the bedroom, well OK it's a Disney one, but who cares, it's pink and it works, ok second hand as wwell, but I can watch TV till May then use it for DVD's or stick a freesat box in.

20. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Cakes 1 and 2 finished. Leave Manashee's for a few days to dry before posting, so no pics till she's got hers!!