1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Christmas cake help please

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by cosmosinfrance, Oct 12, 2015.

1. cosmosinfrance

cosmosinfrance Star commenter

For the past two years I have abandoned the traditional Christmas cake in favour of the boiled method. I had a fabulous recipe from Good Housekeeping for an amaretto flavoured cake but cannot find the recipe anywhere! I had it written down but it's vanished. Nor can I find it on tinternet, not even using endless variations of boiled, Christmas cake, amaretto etc.....

So, does anyone, by any chance, have this recipe or, if your computer skills are better than mine, can you find it?

I'm back in UK for a few days next week and need to stock up on the ingredients I can't find here so it would be good to have it before I go!

Many thanks x

2. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

3. cosmosinfrance

That's it!!!! How did you do that?
    Many thanks EG - I'm going to write it out again and this time NOT put it in a safe place! x

4. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

Ooooooooh-I hear the word "amaretto". What a lovely recipe.

5. cosmosinfrance

It is a gorgeous cake sparkle - thoroughly recommend it. I'm going to be making five cakes this year,one for each of my French neighbours though what they'll make of it I've no idea!

6. felltogroundinberkeleysquare

felltogroundinberkeleysquare Established commenter

Oh that sounds yummy, and presumably if you make it in advance, you can even "feed" it some more amaretto in the intervening time. And then fall asleep before whomever.

7. lapinrose

lapinrose Star commenter

I stick to my GH recipe, successful for a long, long time.

8. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Think I'll use this one now.

9. cosmosinfrance

I used Delia's recipe for nigh on thirty years for Christmas and wedding cakes but am completely converted to this method now. It makes such a moist cake with a wonderful flavour. Plus, it takes less time to bake
    which is a bonus when you cook on bottled gas and have no idea when the bottle is about to run out!

Give it a go Belle, I think you'll like it

10. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

I have a favourite recipe with Madeira and cardamom. I have no doubt that I would love this but Mr BS isn't a huge Amaretto fan. I won't risk it this year - he deserves something he likes after all of his caring duties. I might try it in future though.

11. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

Cake anyone?

[​IMG]

bombaysapphire likes this.
  12. lapinrose

lapinrose Star commenter

I fancy doing something different for decoration this year, but not sure what!
    This is a cake I did a couple of years ago.

[​IMG]

monicabilongame likes this.
  13. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

14. BelleDuJour

I'm deffo going to try this one Cosmo. Will be making 3 Christmas cakes and a wedding cake next week. Yummy!
    Soon be stir up Sunday................

15. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Amaretto cake?

Where?

I am so there!

16. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

I don't use the GH recipe but I use a boiled cake recipe and Cosmos is right - it does mean that the cake is so much moister than standard. I can't stand amaretto though - I use dark rum.

17. BelleDuJour

I think I'll just add booze!!!!!

bombaysapphire likes this.
  18. lapinrose

lapinrose Star commenter

A tip for ensuring Christmas cake, any rich fruit cake, is moist is one I picked up from Mary Ford. Mix together 1 tbsp of brandy, 1 of sherry and a desstspn of glycerin, when cake is cooled, slowly drizzle onto bottom of cake, then wrap in tinfoil. Repeat weekly, but you won't need the glycerin every time, just 1 or 2 times more, but add the booze.

19. cosmosinfrance

Why spoil a cake with glycerine? The booze alone does it for me ;)

20. lapinrose

lapinrose Star commenter

The glycerin does help keep it moist.