1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Christmas Break

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by OSmarsupial, Dec 14, 2011.

1. So people, what are your plans for Xmas? Who is going home? Who is off travelling? Anywhere exciting? I'm off to Turkey for a bit, so looking forward to it as I've never been there. Any places people recommend?

2. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

Off skiing for a month.
    Which essentially means I am staying at home. One of the advantages of living in Switzerland.

3. Ooooh skiing, haven't done that for a VERY long time...

4. Back to blighty for me. My first Christmas at home for thirteen years.

5. Oi, Oi, Oi!!!
    This isn't a 'friends never met bolox'! [​IMG]
    Get on mad opinionated, mad Opinion if you want that sort of tripe. [​IMG]
    Holmes - what flight? BA Saturday, me...

6. Foney you are RUDE!! [​IMG]
    Holmes that is a long time to not be home for Xmas - 4 years since been in marsupial land for me

7. Saturday. 10:45am on the 21st to Gatwick via Frankfurt (Egypt Air / Lufthansa)

8. bigfatgit

bigfatgit New commenter

I'm off to South Africa to link up with Sheesha Ben and the Evil Tokoloshe.
    Should be a very sober occasion [​IMG]

9. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Established commenter

He is. Where would we be without him?
    Christmas in Dublin for Mrs M and me to sample Le Guince at its sacred source then back Al Andalus on the 27th for Los Reyes.

10. I'll be seeing Christmas in on the beach again in Lombok and then the New Year on Gili Air. Oh it's a hard life living in Indonesia ;p

11. SMT dude

SMT dude New commenter

For us, too.
    For the third and alas final time, to Vienna and the palatial residence of His Excellency the Kid Brother.
    Shopping in the Graben and the Christmas fairs, Glühwein on the streets and my niece's bracing Bloody Mary at home, the ghosts of Freud and Mahler (and AH) at every corner, pricey Tafelspitz at the Café Mozart and greasy kebabs at tram stops, brisk morning walks in the Belvedere, long evening talks with the extended family, eighteen happy faces aged 15 to 82 round the festive board, 'The Merry Widow' at the Volksoper on Boxing Day and some vigorous ice-skating to burn the calories away.
    Smug or what? Well deserved after a marathon term, and I'm sure the same is true of all our visitors here.

12. Ahh dude I remember you mentioning Vienna before. We were going to go and see the inlaws however they've decided on the Caribbean hence the trip to Turkey instead.

13. kemevez

kemevez Occasional commenter

I wonder what our steemed colleague Clovis is up to for the season.

14. the evil tokoloshe

the evil tokoloshe New commenter

Well the BFG has already given away some of my plans, they will be followed by a potentially boozy sojourn in the land of Al Nour, a brief but no doubt satisfying interlude in Blighty and a further visit to Bulaq to track down Alesteir Crowley's love nest and favourite stele. And a few in the ACE of course.

Happy journeys all, I still have a weeks worth of sewage to swim through (both metaphorically and in some sample collecting)

15. miketribe

miketribe Occasional commenter

Al Andalus 21st-3rd. Cap'n I want to go to your carol service. Where and when?

16. The beaches on Lombok are ****. The Gilis, well, that a totally different story......tropical paradise.

17. Mainwaring

Last night, Mike! The calendar dictated an early one this year. By next weekend several of the gang of 13, including the Mainwarings, are off to furrin parts.

18. I've been to Lombok before. To be honest I'm going more for the hiking, fishing and to buy some more pearls. Then for total relaxation on the Gilis. Only 4 more days to go. :)

19. Mainwaring

He seems to have disappeared even from Opinion. He may of course be masquerading under yet another name but on my infrequent visits there I don't detect his inimitable style. However I have every hope that he'll deck his balls with sprigs of holly and return, wailing dismally and clanking his chains, once the festered season gets properly under way.

20. gendojones

gendojones New commenter

Moved to Mexico for my first overseas post in August. I'll be spending 12 days in the UK, where I'll be gorging on the English things I can't really get (at least to the same standard) in Mexico; tea, curry and Prince Buster. Although they're not really English anyway.............