1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Christmas bread and butter pudding

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by found nemo, Dec 25, 2010.

1. http://www.waitrose.com/recipe/Panettone_and_Butter_Pudding.aspx
    You have to try this! I adapted it and used chocolate chip panettone and added some clementine zest and orange essence before adding the custard mix. It took an awful lot longer to cook than suggested but I made it in a deep rather than shallow dish. Truly yummy with thick cream.

2. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

Thanks for that. I was just thinking that bread & butter pudding would be a good way to use up the rest of our Panettone.
    Mine isn't chocolate chip but I have some Maya gold that I could chop up and add. That would go very nicely with some clementine zest. Mmmmmmm!

3. And don't forget JOs solution - sort of winter pudding
    Pudding basin required, line with clingfilm
    Pannettone sliced and used to line the basin. He poured on some vin santo and smeared with jam!
    Spread with a thick layer of ice cream (vanilla)
    Lots of fruit and nuts and other stuff you have at christmas pushed in. Glace cherries, clementines, whatever you have knowcking around!
    Top off with more ice cream and layer of pannetone and another drizzle of wine, fold over the cling film, cover the whole thing with more and press down the contents hard - they will ooze inside the clingfilm! Pop back into freezer.
    When you want to use it take it out and leave to come up to useable temp.
    Meanwhile melt some chocolate, add clementine zest or anything else you like and he poured it over the whole thing. I'll just serve it over the slices as we eat it.
    I will be making it tomorrow!

4. Am eating the cold leftovers with a mug of Baileys coffee. Bliss.

5. I had friends round for dinner last night and I made this bread and butter pudding with panettone. OMG it is gorgeous. One of my friends said it is the best pudding she has EVER had. Thanks for posting the link.

6. Thought I might up this in case anyone has any pannettone hanging around! I am making it again tomorrow as it it awesome.

7. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Leftove stollen, is there such a thing, can be used as well or lay slices in an ovenproof dish and throw some booze in, whip 250ml whipping cream, add 250ml greek yoghourt, dash of booze or some redcurrants would look good, pile on top of the stollen, level top and add a thick layer of demerara sugar, grill till bubbling, cool and serve.

8. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

My old man makes pannetone b&b pud on Boxing Day every year, with the leftover pannetone from Christmas Day (taken at 10:00am with a glass of Asti!) and fortified with advocaat. Delicious again this year.
    Re the cooking time - I think it depends on your personal taste. Some prefer a more solid b&b pudding, to then eat with cream. I personally think it should be a looser, quite wet affair, with only the top layer of bread/sugar becoming crispy, withthe remainder being quite custardy, and so having without cream.

9. Bumping this in case anyone's looking for an alternative to Christmas pudding. It is truly delicious!

10. I make mine by making little sandwiches of panettone ( my mind has gone blank....how do you spell it?) filled with marzipan and apricot jam and then baked in the usual way. Sublime!

11. I am sooooooo looking forward to the leftovers now [​IMG]

12. I never have any over !
    I had forgotten this recipe. I love bread and butter pudding. Anyone ever made pannetone in a breadmaker?
    (prunes soaked in whiskey is also wonderful in bread and butter pudding)