1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

christina singing the star-spangled banner

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lardylegs, Feb 6, 2011.

1. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

Wowza! How good was that?

2. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

Wowza! How good was that?

3. Actually, she got the words wrong. And I think that she completely over does it. The girl who sang before has a much more plesant voice, in my opinion.

4. I think she has a goo/powerful vice, but personally I dislike that exaggerated style. It's a bit much - oh, and it's over-imitated too.

5. I know what you mean, coffeekid. I have been wracking my brains about where I saw some comedy sketch about someone doing exactly this type of singing, where every syallable is drawn out. Damn my failing memory.

6. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Lead commenter

It was awful. She shouts, she can't sing more than half a line without taking a breath and she can't remember the words. I couldn't listen to more than a tiny bit. And why does she have to look as if she's got a piano on her toe?

7. inky

inky Lead commenter

Horrible. I saw a video of her singing at the age of five and that was even worse. All the nasty grimacing and vocal mannerisms. Yuck.

8. inky

inky Lead commenter

sorry - she was seven or eight. Whatever natural musicianship she was born with had already been corrupted by mimickry and attitude.

9. inky

inky Lead commenter

Compare the noises she makes with Whitney Houston's voice.

10. Found it! It was when Bleedin' Gums Murphy sang it in the Simpsons!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7xixfoG8Ag

Sadly this is just the audio. But you get the idea. According to the episode, his version lasted 26 minutes!

11. blazer

blazer Star commenter

It was Simpsons episode where Cyndi Lauper is doing the Anthem in a 'Girls just wanna have fun' style

12. Ooh I don't htink I've heard tha tone, Blazer. The one I was thinking on was in the previous post.

13. Oh, to be able to type properly...

14. blazer

blazer Star commenter

I've searched youtube but can't find it. I'm sure I am not imagining it.

15. blazer

blazer Star commenter

16. fantastischfish

fantastischfish Established commenter

Mariah Carey is another one who irritates me. From videos I've seen of her early performances, it's clear she has a marvellous voice.
    But then she goes an ruins everything, by singing in this mildly hysterical fashion later in her career, performing vocals gymnastics and focusing of wearing as few clothes as possible.

17. anon468

anon468 New commenter

My husband refers to this musical 'style' as yodelling.
    He's not far wrong! [​IMG]