1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Christchurch

Discussion in 'Personal' started by emilystrange, Feb 25, 2011.

1. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

now i know this is a few days old but has been a little difficult. i have family out there who were right in the middle of it. all are ok, but one of my cousin's colleagues was killed trying help other people. my cousin was right there helping get people out too, and she's doing shifts on Welfare. she actually works in council's infrastructure dept so will be damned busy... aunt and uncle were at a petrol station at the time. HOW it didn't get blown up is anyone's guess.
    so please scuse the odd sniffle when no one's looking.

2. emilystrange

now i know this is a few days old but has been a little difficult. i have family out there who were right in the middle of it. all are ok, but one of my cousin's colleagues was killed trying help other people. my cousin was right there helping get people out too, and she's doing shifts on Welfare. she actually works in council's infrastructure dept so will be damned busy... aunt and uncle were at a petrol station at the time. HOW it didn't get blown up is anyone's guess.
    so please scuse the odd sniffle when no one's looking.

3. I feel very sorry for those affected.
    Glad to hear your family weren't hurt. Small mercies, and all that.
    *pats Emily on the shoulder*

4. emilystrange

thank you. [​IMG]

5. Why do there seem to be an increasing number of these major natural disasters ... are there actually more or are they reported more?

Good to hear that your family are physically ok Emily ... trauma scars will last longer but with family and friends supporting them I am sure they will be ok in the long run

xx

6. voodoo child

voodoo child New commenter

Sorry to hear your news Emily. I have NZ rellies and have made a donation to the Red Cross NZ appeal. You can do it online.

7. I went to New Zealand in 2009 - we were supposed to stay in Christchurch for 2 days and ended up staying for a week. Such a wonderful, friendly place. I find myself looking at the before and after photos and just can't make any sense of it.
    I am pleased your family are physically ok...I was a tourist for a week and I am in shock, I can't begin to imagine how they are feeling.
    Thoughts are with you and everybody touched by this.
    Thanks for the info on the Red Cross appeal, voodoo child - I will make a donation straight away.

8. emilystrange

i will donate. i can't help any other way - my other cousin who lives here is co-ordinating the messages for now because connections are dodgy, obv.

9. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

I have several cousins who are based in Christchurch but "luckily" we were all called home for a funeral on Tuesday, otherwise they could be dead now. It upsets me just to think about it.