1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Chris Woodhead has died

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Middlemarch, Jun 23, 2015.

1. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

As well as motor neurone disease, he also had cancer.

I never liked him, I'm afraid. I felt he did a lot of harm to a lot of people through his ruthless, thoughtless and uncaring leadership of Ofsted.

2. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

I fear they all blend into one. I just scratch my head and wonder to myself, "Now which overbearing chap in an endless line of swollen-headed know-alls was that one?"

3. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member

4. tidal

tidal New commenter

Sadly yes

5. Middlemarch

It's unlikely that he - or his successors - would answer the question "Has Ofsted improved educational standards?" with the answer "Yes" - isn't it?

6. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member

You may be right Middlemarch. If that is the case then surely it would spell the end of Ofsted?

7. tidal

tidal New commenter

We can but live in hope Rosaline

Faint hope probably

8. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

That depends on exactly what the purpose of Ofsted is, as perceived by politicians.

9. Middlemarch

Quite the reverse! Answering "Yes" means they're no longer needed, which is why every year, each successive chief inspector's report is full of woe.

It's an Alice/Looking glass state of affairs and no mistake.

10. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

Ofsted or something similar will never go away, it is too much of a political football. His legacy was to end education as we knew it. From an education about children, to one of data, numbers and statistics.

11. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

The man himself i detested.but like any man i sorry he died in such a way.

His legacy is to start the condemnation and dumbing down of teachers,trying to prove numbers of inadequate teachers existed and placing into peoples mind that teachers are poor in skills and the profession does not need to be respected. A legacy carried on even today when our great leader suggest all schools coasting, and then all schools, need to go to a form of privatisation called academies.

12. marymoocow

Yes olds, whatever I felt about the man, I wouldn't wish such an awful illness on my worst enemy.

13. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

He did a great deal of damage to people. His legacy is a sack of sh*t. His personal life bears no scrutiny. I too would not wish that illness on anyone. My thoughts and sympathies lie with his first wife (and any family)

14. chicabonita

chicabonita New commenter

I'm afraid I'm not so generous. There are some ills I would not shrink from wishing on another person. Though I wouldn't go so far as witchcraft; ills sent by magic come back to visit you threefold.

15. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

On a basic human level I take no pleasure in his passing and offer my condolences to any family members. On a professional level I had little regard for the legacy he established in state education - it's possible to separate the two.

16. marymoocow

Interesting that the bbc chose to say very little about him on the news.

17. Middlemarch

It's quite interesting to see what David Cameron didn't say about him.

18. felltogroundinberkeleysquare

felltogroundinberkeleysquare Established commenter

I didn't like Ofsted under his tenure. For sure, no parent was ever listened to in an Ofsted inspection in those days.

I had no idea he was ill, and he has passed relatively young, although not unusually so. Three score years and 10 I believe, which is why none of us under 50/60 odd will ever see much of a pension these days. I believe the phrase is that there is nothing in life that is certain "except for death and taxes". RIP him, however at the human level.

19. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

It isn't easy to comment on things we can't read about or hear. People die every day of the week and I'd imagine the Prime Minister's secretary sorts through those worthy of note for him to comment on so he can remind us of his existence on slow news days.

It's unfortunate that Chris Woodhead died on a fast news day when there were traffic jams for the news to report.

20. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

Spot on, Olds![​IMG]