1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Chorizo

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by egyptgirl, Mar 14, 2011.

1. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

I have some fab Chorizo cooking sausages I bought over the weekend - normally, I'm not stuck for ideas as I love Chorizo and have many, many uses for it!
    However, these seem too special for me to just fling in any old recipe - what do you think I should do with them?

2. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Chorizo and butterbean stew is a fave of mine, with onion, garlic, bay, white wine a little stock and spiked with plenty of parsley at the end. Chickpeas make a good substitution for the butterbeans.
    Makes a great hash with leftover boiled potatoes, again with onion and parsley. Sublime with a crisply fried egg on top.
    Also good in a fritatta/tortilla.
    And...the amazing Fabada Asturiana, the beany stew dish from Asturias with large white beans, large chunks of bacon, morcilla and chorizo running through it. One of my very favouritest things. Along with all of my many other very favouritest things, of course.
    Or just to spike a slow cooked beef casserole.

3. My fave method is to fry off a couple of large onions, add the Chorizo, about 1/2 tsp parika and garlic to fry release the oil. Then add bite size pieces of potato cover with white wine cover and leave to simmer until potatoes are soft. Add a tin of either drain chickepeas or butterbean. warm through. To serve sprinkle with chopped parsley and serve with a rocket salad.

4. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Moules with chorizo.
    Fry onion, garlic and chilli in olive oil for 5 mins until soft.
    Add chorizo and fry for another couple of minutes.
    Add white wine and a jar of passata, bring to boil and simmer for a few minutes.
    Add prepared mussels, put lid on and cook until mussels open.
    Sprinkle with fresh parsley and serve with loads of crusty bread.
    Yummy!
    (sorry no quanitities, the usual 'Belle's Bucket Cookery' recipe [​IMG])

5. Fry onions, garlic and chilli; add chopped chorizo, stir until oil runs and it is hot then tip cooked pasta into it and add parsley.
    Lots of good bread and wine......

6. landaise

landaise Occasional commenter

In summer, we split them, score across in lattice and simply barbecue them.
    Also tasty fried to crispy with a mix of red and green peppers and onions, plop in an egg for the last couple of minutes and serve with plenty of crusty bread.

7. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Even more simple I sometimes just cut into slices or chunks and serve with olives as a nibble with a glass of something nice!

8. landaise

Egyptgirl, I get the distinct impression most posters don't realise that you are talking about FRESH chorizo and not the dried variety......
    I know exactly what you mean, here we can buy it in either the ' mild ' variety or the extra hot !

9. henriette

henriette New commenter

I love the fresh stuff roughly pulled apart [the one I get has the consistency of a thick, dense sausage - you can attack it with a knife but it doesn't "slice", more disintegrates!] frizzled in a pan with some oil then poured over salad leaves with an egg (esp a quail's egg) fried in the chorizo oil.

10. egyptgirl

Yes! Exactly! My fault - I don't think I mentioned it in my original post. Sorry everyone!

11. landaise

But you did, you called them ' chorizo cooking sausages !'
    They make a tasty meal cooked in a spicy tomato stock with veg such as courgettes, peppes, chick peas and carrots then tip in some rice or couscous to make a one-pot stew.

12. landaise

PEPPERs, not peppes!

13. egyptgirl

I think that's a whole other debate - to add oil or not add oil. I generally don't because I love the fat that the chorizo produces on its own but if you added a really good olive oil then I suppose this would only enhance the flavour.

14. henriette

henriette New commenter

I tend to start with a splash of olive oil to get things going -- and as it then forms the basis of my salad dressing.

15. egyptgirl

I did, didn't I?! [​IMG]
    Sorry - brain fried by Ofsted! Just registration then a free period and one more lesson to get through. Good job, eh?

16. egyptgirl

Mmmm...interesting stuff. I don't think I've ever had quails eggs before - what are they like?

17. landaise

Well, I have a pile of ironing to do.......

18. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

I think we do. I certainly do. What makes you think we don't?

19. landaise

Well, I'd cook it first.......

See what I mean, nick?

20. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Well yes, fair enough landaise.
    I think the confusion can sometimes come about because of the semi-dried chorizo that's often available, that falls somewhere between fresh and dried. I'd always use this for cooking, personally.