1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice
  3. The Teacher Q&A will be closing soon.

If you have any information that you would like to keep or refer to in the future please can you copy and paste the information to a format suitable for you to save or take screen shots of the questions and responses you are interested in.

Don’t forget you can still use the rest of the forums on theTes Community to post questions and get the advice, help and support you require from your peers for all your teaching needs.

Dismiss Notice

Chopping boards - what material do youthink is best?

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by cinnamonsquare, Jun 6, 2011.

1. cinnamonsquare

cinnamonsquare Occasional commenter

In my own kitchen, wood all the way. They're sturdier and the knife doesn't cut into them as easily. I always give a quick spray with Dettol after cleaning as well and have never had any problems/illness.

We have plastic ones at school, with colour coded handles - broadly red for meat, blue for fish, green for veg and white for bread. They look very pretty, but whoever did the ordering didn't think the numbers through properly. We very rarely cook meat or fish with our primary school children. I guess it's different in secondary schools!

2. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

I use a large wooden board for veg that just gets wiped down after use; a large plastic one for meat and fish (this goes in the dishwasher) and a small plastic one for onions, garlic and chillies (so the fragrant juices don't permeate the large wooden one and flavour everything else), that also goes in the dishwasher, out of convenience.

3. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

I use a wooden one for my food prep but I have a separate plastic boards for poultry, pork, other meats, fish and shellfish.

4. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

I have small Joseph Joseph one (although they are small - A4 size) I also have some of the plastic ones from Ikea for when I need more space.

5. I have only ever used wooden boards at home - for everything, and have never poisoned anyone!

6. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

But have you used it to bash MrC over the head with when he's moaned about his dinner again?! [​IMG]

7. Have you seen the size of my chopping board? It'd kill him!

8. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

I feel that I should point out that I grew up in a hotel and that I have relatives who will not eat pork or shellfish - I also have separate pans to cook pork and shellfish in with separate plates to serve them on and separate cutlery to eat them with. It sounds crazy but its what I do.

9. Si N. Tiffick

Si N. Tiffick Occasional commenter

I use plastic ones- I like to put them through the dishwasher and whenever I've done that to a woonden board it's ruined it. They don't look as nice but they are practical.

10. Wood - either hardwood or bamboo.
    I refuse to use the plastic ones, especially for meat (I do have some small ones for my kids to cut their apples and bread buns up on but I replace them frequently) because the scratches cannot be cleaned properly and the bacteria stays in the board.
    Wooden boards kind of "self clean" (as it is a living product) and can kill the bacteria (although you still need to scrub!).
    See this article which explains it better:
    http://www.news.wisc.edu/releases/1107.html
    I use one side for meat and the other for veg, I also have a second smaller wooden board for veg if chopping a lot.
    I have a large glass board which I roll pastry out on but I do not cut on it as I think this is bad for the knives.

11. RJR_38

RJR_38 New commenter

I use wood as it is meant to be the best material for the knives. I have one larger meat board and a smaller vegetable board. I just make sure I use plenty of hot water to clean them and I tend to spray with dettox anti-bac at regular intervals as well. To date I have never poisoned anyone....

12. This advice mentioned in the OP about not using wooden boards had me intrigued (I have never seen a cookery programme where anything other than a wooden board was used) so I just rang my friend, whose husband is the chef in his fancy, very expensive hotel.
    His recommendation - WOOD and never anything other than WOOD.

13. For the knives but first and foremost for hygiene reasons.

14. henriette

henriette New commenter

I have 2 or 3 beautiful wooden boards which I tend to use as serving platters????
    I use IKEA white plastic ones every day and they go in the dishwasher after every use.

15. karentee

karentee New commenter

wooden boards, and I don't have different ones for different foods, I just wipe it down with hot soapy water and reuse, again, we're all still alive and well despite it!

16. Those yucky bacteria are still deep within the scratches.
    Use wood, lovely.

17. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

I disagree. The plastic ones, in the dishwasher will be pretty sterile - either the hot wash at 65+ degrees will have killed the bacteria, or the drying cycle will have heated everything sufficiently to kill bacteria.
    Wooden chopping boards get scratches in as well, don't they? What evidence is there to suggest that wood doesn't soak up bacteria? Moreover - huge chopping boards are difficult to wash properly - they warp if immersed in water or placed in the washing machine - so a wipe over will either not clean them suficiently, or will imbue the board with a lovely flavour of disinfectant if wiped over.
    I don't see any scientific reason for wooden chopping boards being cleaner than plastic ones.

18. henriette

henriette New commenter

tbh, CQ, I use the plastic ones becasue they are so cheap and my wooden ones are beautiful and were expensive and I don't want to spoil; them!
    I have an irritating habit of putting hot pans down on boards, so I het through a fair number of them as I keep melthing rings into them. I was gutted when I burnt a ring on my big wooden one!

19. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

I would point out that I'm not stating that there's anything wrong with wooden boards, or that they're inferior to plastic boards, because they're not; I use one for chopping veg and another one for slicing bread. The fact that butchers use wooden blocks, as Modelmaker mentions, speaks volumes. I just find plastic ones convenient for meat and strongly flavoured foods such as garlic and onions. These can be easily popped in the dishwasher. Anything that comes out of a hot wash of the dishwasher is sterile as far as I'm concerned.
    I'm still not convinced of the suggested self-cleaning abilities of wooden boards though [​IMG]

20. karentee

karentee New commenter

Jamie Oliver uses a wood board for everything, so if it's good enough for Jamie, it's certainly good enough for me!!