1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Chopping boards - what material do you think is best?

Discussion in 'Design and technology' started by Christel, Jun 6, 2011.

1. You should follow the Food Hygiene regs-as they tell you when you do your Training and get a level 2 Food Hygiene cert which I thought was a basic requirement to teach food. The colour coded boards are required esp for raw meat and cooked meat.
    Set up the room with high expectations.

2. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

3. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

4. IMHO There are 2 things to worry about with both these board sets- first they sit in the holder together touching each other and if the kids put them away wet they will prob still breed bacteria. You need to be able to dishwash all boards on a regular basis.
    second the colours do not comply with the Safe Food Safe Business colour coding system.
    I think my sets of boards came form Howe Hardware or Nisbetts the latter is a catering supplier. We also have racks to put them in with metal separators for the raw meat and cooked meat boards plus the fish ones.
    The brown and green boards for dirty veg and salad live in student cupboards.
    Management needs to realise that setting up a food room cannot be done 'on the cheap'