1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Choosing Time Activities for SEN child

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Juliet6079, Dec 31, 2019.

1. Juliet6079

Juliet6079 New commenter

Hi all, and Happy New Year!

Hoping some knowledgeable teachers can help me out here :)

I teach a mixed 4/5 class but also have an SEN child who has an EHCP and one-to-one, suspected autism with speech and language difficulties. He works o a separate curriculum, mostly Year 1 and Year 2 work.

From January, I am losing his one-to-one in the afternoons. We usually do Science, Music, History etc. in the afternoons, a lot of which he will really struggle to access. He joins in with PE and he will most likely join in with Music. However, on Science/History/Geography afternoons he will happily just sit and watch other people out the window if given half the chance!

I want to have a tray of activities available for him that he knows he can choose from at those times, but aren't just colouring/drawing etc. - obviously I want him to be progressing, but I also can't teach the whole class and work with him 1-to-1 for the whole afternoon.

I've got some handwriting workbooks and some memory games he can access, but does anyone else have any ideas/resources that might work? He can get on with games/puzzles and some activities independently and needs to work on his vocabulary particularly. He won't be able to access much writing by himself.

Sorry for the long post! Thank you in advance :)

2. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I would differentiate the activities the others are doing.

So history
    Class writing a diary entry of a child chimney sweep.
    This child shading a picture of a chimney sweep with charcoal, writing captions/labels to describe the sweep
    Science
    Class learning about magnetic forces
    This child exploring the classroom with a magnet, writing a list of of items that are magnetic

etc etc

3. sooooexcited

sooooexcited Occasional commenter

Totally agree with caterpillar. This child needs to access all subjects at the right level.

Juliet6079 and (deleted member) like this.
  4. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Star commenter

Hi Juliet6079, while I 100% agree with the posters above, I know how time consuming and difficult it can be to organise something at an appropriate level for every lesson. We have a child with very similar problems in Year 6 who does not have support 3 afternoons a week. We do our very best to include him in all subjects at an appropriate level on these afternoons, but occasionally it just doesn't work - might be because of the subject, or he might just be having a 'bad day'. He does have his own I-pad - at such times, he is happy to practise times tables or word games on various apps he is confident with. He also has a willing and able 'classroom buddy' who knows what he is supposed to be doing on these afternoons and sits near him to encourage. None of this is ideal, but if you are the lone adult in a class of 30, sometimes needs must.

Juliet6079 and (deleted member) like this.
  5. Over_the_hill

Over_the_hill Star commenter

I have a similar situation, the child in my class cannot really communicate verbally but loves drawing and has their own sketch book which they use to draw their interpretation of what others are doing, and then we label it together (me usually scribing any words that they say). That way the child is still in the lesson but observing and taking it all in, just not producing the same work at the end.