1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Choosing the most appropriate referees.

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by slimydee, Feb 21, 2016.

1. slimydee

slimydee New commenter

I currently work in a small school where my wife is the head teacher and I am the Senior Teacher. I am looking to apply for Deputy and Assistant head posts but cannot give my wife as a referee! I currently have the Chair of Governors and the LA General Advisor as my referees. Are these the most appropriate people for me to ask to provide references or do you have any other suggestions?
    Also, as our school community is a small one and I do not want the children and parents to be unsettled until I am in a position to tell them what new challenge I am moving on to, I do not want references taken up at the application stage of the appointment process. Am I able to ask the school not to take up my references until later?

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Tricky situation, being the Head's partner, and your alternative referees will be fine (assuming that there isn't a DHT to ask), although you will need to include a brief sentence in your letter of application or supporting statement, just explaining why it isn't the Head that you are giving as a referee.

You talk of being Senior Teacher - are you in England and Wales, or , rather, are the schools to which you are applying in E&W?

If so, the statutory guidance is to take them up before interview, so that they may discuss any points with you in the interview.

You cannot, surely, put these people down as referees without discussing it with them, so they will be in the know anyway. Could you not, when asking them to be your referees, emphasise how important it is for this information to be kept from public knowledge, for the sake of the school?

Have you found - and read - all the advice on applications in the Professional Advice Hub?

Best wishes

3. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

Agree with Theo obviously. With regards the 'keeping it under wraps' then I would expect this to be the case whenever someone goes for a job. Simply professional courtesy.

4. slimydee

slimydee New commenter

Thanks to you both. I realised, following your comments, that I was not just playing it close to my chest but under my vest too! I have now spoken to both referees about this and they completely understand.

Thanks for your advice about this, and for all the other advice Theo too. I have now completed two summaries (and two applications!) and have found that my supporting statement is also more focused after following your guidance.

Thanks again

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Yes, it makes you see clearly what is relevant to that school, doesn't it?

Best of luck