1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Choosing schools in Shanghai

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by KerryS, Mar 3, 2012.

1. Hi
    I'm considering a move to Shanghai. However, I am concerned about schooling for my two children, both in primary school. I'm a secondary teacher. Does anyone know where I can look for information on primary schools that can help me to decide which one to send them too?
    Thanks

2. Syria1

Syria1 New commenter

All the major international Schools in Shanghai have both primary and secondary sections. If you are hired as a teacher from overseas you are usually given free schooling for up to 2 children at the equivalent level - for example if you were teaching at a "dull" school in secondary, they would attend the primary level. You can try www.shanghaiexpat.com for a feel surrounding the existing schools - the section you are looking for is under 'Family and Kids'.

3. Kerry,
    There are some posts in the teaching overseas forum about International Schools in Shanghai. It would be to your advantage to read some of them in order to make an informed decision.
    Shanghai is an exciting city to live in, with a great choice of schools, but factor location and school size into your decision also.
    If you search the forums using 'shanghai' you may get some ideas.
    Good luck!

4. Am in a similar situation, but know that the school to which I am applying is only going to be a high school (newly opening). What I'm anxiously awaiting is what school MY school will send my Middle school and pre-prep school age children to

5. Diddysan

Diddysan New commenter

Fred, I thought you had taken a job in Brunei?

6. Have PM'ed you TDALEY26

7. Mmm. New High School...in Shanghai? Where is that going to be?

8. Uhm...in Shanghai...sorry. Haven't gotten that far yet. Will PM you, pengyou.