1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Choosing schools for Primary Placements, advice please

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by JillStephens, Dec 9, 2011.

1. Hello, I am starting Primary teacher training in January and have some freedom about the schools in which I do my placements. I need to do two placements, a five week and an eight week, one KS1, one KS2. I am hoping to make smart choices at this stage to help me get a job when the time comes and of course, to become a good teacher!
    The school I am currently working in (as a TA) is a two form entry in a city with a mixed intake and 50 languages spoken. It is judged to be 'good with outstanding features'.
    I am thinking that contrasting placements would give me the broadest range of experience and am thinking of trying to get one placenet in a village school (small entry, there are quite a few locally) and another in a school with more challenging pupils.
    What do you think is best for my training and for employers? Trying to get placements in good/ outstanding schools so I can see what is judged to be good practice, or showing I can cope somewhere that is less than thriving? Am I wasting an opportuinity going to a C of E school (most of the village schools are) when I am not C of E so would probably not get employed in a church school?!
    Any advice would be gratefully appreciated, either as to how to give myself the best training experience, or what employers are looking for! Good wishes, Jill

2. Hello, I am starting Primary teacher training in January and have some freedom about the schools in which I do my placements. I need to do two placements, a five week and an eight week, one KS1, one KS2. I am hoping to make smart choices at this stage to help me get a job when the time comes and of course, to become a good teacher!
    The school I am currently working in (as a TA) is a two form entry in a city with a mixed intake and 50 languages spoken. It is judged to be 'good with outstanding features'.
    I am thinking that contrasting placements would give me the broadest range of experience and am thinking of trying to get one placenet in a village school (small entry, there are quite a few locally) and another in a school with more challenging pupils.
    What do you think is best for my training and for employers? Trying to get placements in good/ outstanding schools so I can see what is judged to be good practice, or showing I can cope somewhere that is less than thriving? Am I wasting an opportuinity going to a C of E school (most of the village schools are) when I am not C of E so would probably not get employed in a church school?!
    Any advice would be gratefully appreciated, either as to how to give myself the best training experience, or what employers are looking for! Good wishes, Jill