1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Choosing Primary Teacher Training Route - help!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by h91c, Jun 7, 2011.

1. Hi all,

I have just finished my second year of University, studying for a degree in ICT. I am starting to think about my applications for teacher training, which I would like to get started on over the summer holidays ready for 2012 entry applications opening in October. I am applying for Primary Teaching. I had pretty much set my heart on going down the Graduate Teacher Route - I like the idea of spending the year in one specific school, and also many of my local schools have taken part in the scheme before so I would have a good chance of being placed in a local school which I would enjoy working in. However, I have only recently discovered about GTP not being generally accepted in other countries as a teaching qualification. I have no particular plans to move abroad but I would not like to limit myself to only being able to teach within the UK. I'm therefore wondering whether a PGCE would be better, as it is a more universally accepted qualification. I realise that which training scheme to choose depends entirely on the person, but it would be really helpful if I could get some views on GTP vs. PGCE and any other schemes I may not have considered yet, I'd particularly love some thoughts from those currently completing a Primary GTP or PGCE or from headteachers on what qualification they prefer prospective employees to have.

Thank you! H x

2. This is a tricky one. I did the Primary GTP route and loved it. I loved being in school from day one and teaching from week two. I loved spending a day a week learning the theory and then having a chance to apply what I had learnt straight away and learn the reality of the theories. I am just coming to the end of my NQT year and I feel the GTP prepared me really well for this as it didn't come as a shock as I was teaching in the same class in my GTP and eventually built up to teaching for 70% of the time, assisting with parents evenings, report writing etc as well as the planning.
    Having said all that I know I am not going to be wanting to teach abroad, so it wasn't an issue for me. I also had to be extremely proactive, organising who I wanted to observe and when, which teachers were happy for me to teach their classes etc. It was also hard to motivate myself to do the extra reading I needed to do as the training contact was only 30 days overall. I think it depends whether you like the idea of more input and then having a go at the teaching, or whether you like to get stuck in right away. To answer your question about how employers view it I can only say that in my area the GTP programme is seen very favourably and out of the 24 Primary GTPers, 20 had jobs by the end of the year which I think is pretty good. Quite a few got jobs at their host schools, as they have had all year to suss you out which is another plus point (if you go down well).
    I would say don't do the GTP if you think you might want to work abroad as this would be a serious problem. If you do want to, go for the PGCE. Good luck with whatever you choose.