1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

choosing a theme

Discussion in 'Primary' started by maireadmairead, Apr 15, 2011.

1. maireadmairead

maireadmairead New commenter

hI everyone,

For next term I have to chose between the themes castles or dinosaurs.

I have year 1

Anyone ever done these themes before or have any suggestions about which one to choose?

Thanks a million

2. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

First question - which sounds the most appealing to you?
    Second question - have you asked the children which they'd prefer?
    Looking at the resources on this site there are 147 for KS1 on Castles and 117 for KS1 on Dinosaurs. So plenty there for both. I'd have a look at some of these and see if any of them spark your enthusiasm. I'd also think about any books you might like to share with the children. Do you have any favourites of your own on either of these themes?
    Both sound lovely - I'm sure you'll have a great time whichever you choose. Perhaps the other one could be used next year?

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Do a half term on each?

Our Year 1 classes have done castles this last term and had a fabulous time and learned loads. Nursery are doing dinosaurs next term and seem to have some great plans.

I'd do castles in the sense there is much you can 'teach' the children that is useful general knowledge for now. You can visit a castle and see the features and all that sort of thing.

4. comenius

comenius New commenter

I taught castles after Christmas for a half term - its a great topic to do. My plans for last year are here if you want a look.

https://www.tes.co.uk/teaching-resource/Year-1-topic-planning-Castles-6030703/

I changed the literacy slightly this year to include 3 weeks on Fairy Tales set in castles, I can e-mail you those plans if you want too.
    Our year 2 class did dinosaurs in the Autumn. The children found it a great topic, but I think the teacher found it quite difficult finding links to the NC. I can e-mail you her topic web too if you want.

5. maireadmairead

Hi,

Thanks for all the suggestions!

It would be brilliant if you could email me that planning. my email is maireadmairead@gmail.com

Thanks again

6. Hi, I am in Year 1 and this year we have done a dinosaur theme and a Castles theme (Dungeons & Dragons). The children enjoyed both themes but I think Castles has a wider appeal -I enjoyed it more too!
    There were loads of cross-curricular links, lots of children led/initiated learning etc. I felt that there were a range of opportunities for appealing to all the children from princesses to mythical creatures, fiction, non-fiction, knights, fairy tales, fantasy stories and more besides!

I have a few bits that I could email to you if you would like, such as my overview with links to websites, role-play ideas etc.

7. sarahmilly

sarahmilly New commenter

Would it be possible to have a copy of the topic web too? I am in the process of setting up a creative curriculum for KS1 and this would be really helpful.
    s.gibson@stonyhurst.ac.uk
    many thanks

8. maireadmairead

yeah that would be brilliant. thanks a million!
    my email is maireadmairead@gmail.com

thank you!

9. Could you send me the literacy plans please. Thank you. Sounds great
    [​IMG]

10. Hello. Could you email me the plans too. I am trying to set up a more creative topic and this sounds fantastic
    elliekeating@yahoo.com

11. I did a dinosaurs topic in KS1 and although I was initially very excited about it, it turned out to be a bit of a nightmare because of the tricky/long dinosaur names that the children couldn't say or read. They liked the art work involved and trying to figure of the size of commonly known dinosaurs but the literacy side was hard work.
    I am not saying don't do the topic but think it through carefully.