1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Choosing a school to do NQT year

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by freckle9, Mar 3, 2019.

1. freckle9

freckle9 New commenter

I'm currently coming to the end of my second (of 3) SCITT placements and jobs locally are starting to be advertised. What advice do others have for deciding what type of school to apply to for a first job? I am really torn as I have had good experiences in 2 completely different schools - 1 large & creative, the other small & more academic focus (due to lower starting levels) - 1 of which is advertising, the other is likely to be advertising soon. What should I be looking for in order to get the best NQT experience? What factors are most important and which are less important? What questions should I be asking of them?

2. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

Your mentor will be important - who are they, what mentoring experience they've had etc. Ask some questions about this at interview. Ask about the induction programme they offer, opportunities etc.

Apply for every job you like the look of. You might think it's perfect for you, and that you'll definitely be offered it because you did a placement there and they liked you, but they might just prefer someone else at interview and offer to them instead.

3. celago22

celago22 Occasional commenter

It depends on what type of school you would like to work in, some people like small village schools, others prefer bigger schools.
    I'd say make sure it's not a one form entry as having year group partners to plan with is beneficial.
    Ultimately you need to fit in at the school and have a supportive mentor so ask them about nqt support.

4. purplecarrot

purplecarrot Senior commenter

This is very true. Being known to the school can be a pro and a con.

It's so important that trainees applying to placement schools don't take it personally if they don't get the job. Often it's not a reflection on the quality of them as a teacher, rather than them not ticking the boxes the school need.

OP, I'd also apply for any job you like the look of and ask about induction and CPD opportunities.

Good luck.