1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Choosing a PAYG mobile; advice needed please!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by dusty67, Feb 18, 2011.

1. dusty67

dusty67 New commenter

I have a contract mobile phone with O2, which I usually choose because it matches my handbag [​IMG] So I know very little about choosing the right type of phone or SIM.

My eldest son is 16 next week and wants an up-to-date handset for his birthday. He's never really bothered about one before now. He wants it mainly to make calls and check his emails, but I'd like him to have other options too. A camera isn't an essential as he uses an SLR for his photos. He is a trainspotter (double [​IMG]) and likes to keep in touch with other spotters. (They often email each other about "rare" trains coiming through so they can get out and take photos. I remember discussing with his teacher that whilst most teenagers are downloading **** from youtube, mine is up loading videos of trains. Still it keeps him off the streets)
    He thinks he needs a Blackberry, but I'm not sure. Can't you access emails on other phones too?
    I'm willing to spend between £100 and £150 (he usually doesn't ask for much, so am spending more than I usually would) and, as both me and hubby are on O2, I'd like a tariff that gives cheap/free calls to that network.
    So, can anyone advise me as to the best handset and the best SIM to buy?
    Thanks in advance

2. dusty67

dusty67 New commenter

I have a contract mobile phone with O2, which I usually choose because it matches my handbag [​IMG] So I know very little about choosing the right type of phone or SIM.

My eldest son is 16 next week and wants an up-to-date handset for his birthday. He's never really bothered about one before now. He wants it mainly to make calls and check his emails, but I'd like him to have other options too. A camera isn't an essential as he uses an SLR for his photos. He is a trainspotter (double [​IMG]) and likes to keep in touch with other spotters. (They often email each other about "rare" trains coiming through so they can get out and take photos. I remember discussing with his teacher that whilst most teenagers are downloading **** from youtube, mine is up loading videos of trains. Still it keeps him off the streets)
    He thinks he needs a Blackberry, but I'm not sure. Can't you access emails on other phones too?
    I'm willing to spend between £100 and £150 (he usually doesn't ask for much, so am spending more than I usually would) and, as both me and hubby are on O2, I'd like a tariff that gives cheap/free calls to that network.
    So, can anyone advise me as to the best handset and the best SIM to buy?
    Thanks in advance

3. marshypops

marshypops New commenter

He doesn't need a blackberry, they're meant for business people who need access to a range of "apps" such as their diaries and email etc.
    I think nokia do a good handset it's the 5800 xpress music, I've checked amazon and a PAYG is in your budget.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=5800+xpress&tag=googhydr-21&index=aps&hvadid=7020236793&ref=pd_sl_9mffcv4d05_b

4. marshypops

marshypops New commenter

It also allows you to check your emails too. Has a goodish camera and looks ok, it's also much sturdier looking than the iphone.

5. dusty67

dusty67 New commenter

Thanks. I'll have a look at that.

6. dusty67

dusty67 New commenter

Any other recommendations from other (more than me) technically advanced Tessers!

7. http://shop.o2.co.uk/mobile_phones/Pay_And_Go

This is the link for the O2 site pay as you go phones there's some good ones on here like: LG Optimus, Samsung Tocco lite, Sony Ericsson Experia x8 (my boyfriend has this and loves it), little bit over budget (£9) Samsung Wave 723. I also agree with the Nokie that was suggested, I have a nokia and constantly use it for email checking and facebook etc.
    Hope this helps a bit
    x

8. Hey the lad fancies a Blackberry and it's his 16th birthday!
    http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.209-0617.aspx
    or here:
    http://www.dialaphone.co.uk/pay-as-you-go/tmobile/blackberry-curve-8520/PAYG_BestSelling_P3
    There you go and it's in budget (don't know about the call charges though). I've got a nokia e71 (very similar) and the qwerty keyboard makes it lovely to text with.

9. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

This may be a tad over budget (depending which network you choose)
    HTC Wildfire gets great reviews you can get this from Tesco (if you can trust him look at a rolling monthly contract. 500 mins and unlimited texts for £15 with them, he could pay you this and not tied in?)
    otherwise if you want PAYG then stick with O2.
    He can get a Blackberry Curve in your budget if hes set on Blackberry though.

10. Blackberry curve, I think will be the only blackberry you can get under £150 x

11. Oh, honestly - he really doesn't need a Blackberry - it is meant for business folk.
    If you want to spoil him (I wouldn't, but I am miserable old moo) go for the Samsung.
    Or go for the Nokia e71 - my ex has that and it is perfectable adequate and then some!

12. The Blackberry Curve mentioned earlier in this thread is an entry level model only and has nowhere near the capability of a full Blackberry business model - or the Nokia E71 for that matter. It is also considerably cheaper than either and well within the requirements as set out by the OP (says Dekka who has an E71 (not used much anymore except for the GPS and mapping) and whose daughter has a Blackberry Curve).

13. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Don't use Orange, they are rubbish!!

14. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

I have Tesco for my business phone and O2 for my personal phone. Very happy with both x

15. Avoid orange and O2 like the plague.
    Tesco are fab.
    Whatever you are buying him, make sure he insures it.

16. joli2

joli2 New commenter

Why? Mobiles are covered on household insurance.

17. I insure mine separately as the insurance policy did not cover enough and the excess was too high.

18. All the kids are using blackberries at the moment.
    I recently got my daughter a contract phone for about £15 a month, as I was spending that on top-ups. Her friends all have blackberries, but I don't like them so she got the Nokia E5, although they do a more basic model - NokiaC3, I think.
    My youngest has an LG viewty snap, on Tesco Mobile PAYG, and they do a reduced price if you buy the phone in-store. They are great. They do a double-up offer, so if I top up £10, she gets actually gets £20.
    I topped the phone up when she got it in September, and I have only had to top it up once since then.

19. Surpising numbers of kids have Blackberries, Cheaper than an iphone (which would be more desireable).BBM allows you to instant message Blackberry and iphone users. Texting is so last year. You can update Facebook while on the bus and listen to Kiss.

20. Yep, Maj, they are all at it with their balckberries at the moment!