1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Choosing a house.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by oldsomeman, Dec 2, 2015.

1. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

I just wonder what makes folks chose a particular house?
    I find it hard to imagine what i would choose and the area if i were to be given the choice.
    Im trying t persuade my wife to move.....but i doubt it wil be that simple as a location,bungalow and a certain size/

2. Ladykaza

Ladykaza Senior commenter

We had a wish list when we were last buying but in the end it was the chickens with done it - house came with 7 resident chooks

3. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

I'm househunting at the moment and it is tricky.
    I don't have a wishlist as such but I won't live on a busy road, need a downstairs loo, have to have an en-suite and a garage.
    I think you get a feeling for a house when you go in for a viewing.

Vince_Ulam, ScotSEN and needabreak like this.
  4. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

Well, start with the basics like, type of property, number of bedrooms, layout, size of garden.

We wanted a particular downstairs layout and a large master bedroom with an ensuite with bath and walk in shower. We also wanted room for two cars on the drive and detached.

It was important to have basic food shopping within walking distance and reliable public transport.

Of course, price is often the main factor!

5. felltogroundinberkeleysquare

felltogroundinberkeleysquare Established commenter

Maybe I can help? In the olden days, I had numerous houses as my family expanded, the largest being a six bedroom listed house, which had 3 open fireplaces, and a lot of maintenance. Lived there for 10 years, which was the formative years of my kids really. However, since they have gradually moved on, downsized to a 4 bed Edwardian place, which was plenty as older girl had gone to Germany for 7 years, Now Bat Towers does me fine because of the location which is blissful, and there are 3 bedrooms, but I have sneaked in a room above new garage for extra visitors.

The beauty of it all is that I have no mortgage, and a lovely large fireplace on which I could cook if I wanted, and planning permission for an extension which is nearly up and paid for by cash.

When it comes to shopping, I do a lot of food stuff online, and if I want a jaunt out there are plenty of boutique or shopping centres not too far away, but I don't miss the London Hustles, though, I do that occasionally by staying in a hotel.

Of course, I also live a fair bit of time on the Waterways, but that is a different story.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  6. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

I'd start by writing down, with your wife, a list of things the house must have or be, and another list of things an ideal house would have/be. Then focus on the area you want/think you'd like to live in, if possible spend some time getting to know it 'on the ground to be sure it is right for you.

You can then use this information to search both online and through local estate agencies for houses that meet the brief.

Lara mfl 05, ScotSEN and needabreak like this.
  7. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

Depends which part of the country you are in…. In the south east things are considerably more challenging when it comes to house hunting.

Start with a price bracket.

Then compose a *must* list…
    Look at available properties…
    Reduce *must* list to a 'wish' list…
    Look at some more available properties…
    Reduce list again to a 'bloody hell I hope something suitable turns up that doesn't require complete renovation and is in a vaguely decent area.."
    Keep looking.

Lara mfl 05, needabreak and marlin like this.
  8. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

Nice new pic Olds.

I'd say try not to overlook things you see in the area that your interested in that don't appear to have the (internet) curb appeal, since when you look at your must list (v gd idea Daisy/Frank) and what's on the market you might find much of it behind a facade that you can change in terms of windows, front garden and front door if you get it at the right price; which you might achieve given that others may not be showing interest because of their first impressions.

House hunting can be such fun, even if the moving process can be nerve racing. Hope you find your dream home!

9. Crowbob

Crowbob Lead commenter

We wanted lots of downstairs space but not too bothered about what was upstairs.

The unexpected 'bonus' was a breakfast bar. Never thought that we would want one but it has been the most used 'bit' of the house with a toddler.

10. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

Thanks for your replies
    I think we are the sort of folk who either both have to like a property as we view it.....
    or will both object with one liking and the other not liking it.
    problem is i want to move North and wife hasnt a clue.....I want land for a workshop she wants smaller and so on.
    Its a right pain in the rear as this house be both felt was the right house as we walked in the door.that was 38 years ago! Despite my attempts she has not wanted to move citing various things.
    one problem i have is where in the North...we did at one time consider Scotland near to Inverness.......and i myself can live many places where I would have been happy to settle..or even live abroad such as in Austria.I dont think Mrs Oldy would lol

11. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

We knew which town we wanted to live in and that we wanted to be within walking distance of the centre. The next priority was being able to accommodate the dogs comfortably. It needed to be smaller and with less maintenance than the last house and we wanted a South or South West facing garden.

12. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

What's Curb Appeal?

13. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

How pretty it looks from the outside.

ETA: Just realised you were picking up on the spelling. Duh!

14. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Lots of fantastic practical advice olds.
    One criteria you may need to consider (though may not want to) is to consider amenities/ facilities as you age. Nearby shopping for when one can no longer drive safely. Good GP/ hospitals nearby etc, also closeness to family.
    My father was desperate to move at one time, away to a warmer climate but could not fin a buyer for the house. Which was just as well, because in the intervening 3 years his brother-in-law's health deteriorated and died and he realised how important it would be as he and my mother aged to have family nearby in an emergency. They did move but nearer to us.

15. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

As soon as I set foot in a place I know whether I want to buy it or not. Nothing to do with a wish list etc., I just know. How or why? I have no idea.

Noja likes this.
  16. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

We look at the amenities on offer and just how attractiive the town is. We found northern towns pretty grim looking on the whole and the prettier places were expensive so don't presume you would be buying a palace just because you would be leaving London. We found fewer amenities in northern towns but loved the closeness to hills and beautiful countryside which there is less of here.
    As for the house - we were pretty open minded but wanted to be able to walk to town and have a decent sunny garden. Tt was a question of choosing the best of what was available in the location we wanted and we were very lucky to find this house which we love. it's light and airy and I just knew it would be fine within 10 seconds. It's not perfect however. You might want a bungalow or at least a house with the option of a downstairs bedroom.

17. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

Can anyone imagine olds actually selling his present house and moving?

lindenlea likes this.
  18. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Star commenter

It was the garden for us....We bought a garden with a small dwelling attached.

As a non driver location to get to work was pretty key but as we relocated across the country, we had to get jobs and house, which was quite interesting to organise. It turned out that the house we did buy was accessible for the job I do now have, until the council cut the bus service!
    Access to health and shops was equally important as we knew we didn't want to move again and so this is our last house or so we hope.

As others have said we wrote down our musts and our compromises within the budget we could afford. Our compromise meant losing the big kitchen we had for a tiny one, and no garage as it's a mid terrace no option to build one. This was a big shock to get used to but we gained a lot of garden so we can grow veg and keep chickens.

We found it key as we looked at over 100 houses, to accept that there would have to be compromises in our price bracket.

Have fun looking though

19. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

It had to be the same area. For our dog-walking. Had to have 4 bedrooms. Not a main road.

Then we found the perfect one (well, apart from all the refurbishment that's going to cost £80K) with the lake/pond/pool running along the back gardens of 7 houses so we can have a little boat and enjoy the moorhens and assorted aquatic wildlife.

20. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

If you haven't got the readies, you could flog your expensive watch to help with the cost.;)