1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Choosing a GCSE course

Discussion in 'Business studies' started by barrysheene, May 22, 2012.

1. Our Business Studies teacher is retiring and I am taking on her lessons, so I need to get on top of AQA A2 and AS and CCEA GCSE courses - slightly daunting but I'm hoping it will provide an interesting variety to ICT teaching. However, just got a letter from CCEA saying they will no longer be taking new registrations from English schools for their GCSE. Next term’s Year 11 will continue with CCEA but I need to find a new course to deliver to Year 10. I assume the choice is between AQA, Edexcel and OCR. Can anybody recommend / advise against any of these? Thanks very much.

2. Totally80s

Totally80s New commenter

WJEC!. Very straightforward and easy to deliver. Excellent help from the board.I am returning to WJEC from Edexcel for GCSE but have always used WJEC for AS/A2.

3. Sorry, just seen that Naruddin has already started a similar thread to mine.

4. Thank you totally80's - I'll have a look at that. Why did you switch from Edexcel?

5. Totally80s

Totally80s New commenter

We are moving back to WJEC for GCSE because the prime reason for being with Edexcel (the Y10 m/c exam) has now gone. It was useful for the students to get the marks in Y10 and then resit if needed in Y11. For some it was very motivational when they saw how many marks they gained.
    We have also watched the grade boundaries rising to a silly degree with 29/40 needed to gain a C in January and 38/40 needed for an A*.
    My Y10's have taken their Unit 1 exam today. They all said that it was easy. The most negative comment I heard was "that was so straightforward"; grade boundary could be 40/40 for an A* and maybe 31-32/40 for a C when we get them in August!
    Anyway, the WJEC spec was straightforward, you could teach in any order you wanted to any depth you wanted and be as flexible as you wanted (OK you can with any spec but the Edexcel spec always felt like "If its lesson 2, week 3 in October it must be ......)
    The final thing to cement the change: lunches at the meetings at WJEC headquarters are outstanding!