1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Choose not to strike?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Standard, Nov 21, 2011.

1. I don't believe the union will ask you to leave...they want your cash too much.
    However, you may wish to consider the point of being in this union if you are not prepared to follow their advice.
    Have you thought of switching to a union that does not strike e.g . Voice?

2. As I said Standard, I will be following the advice of my union so it was more of an academic question as I know some ATL teachers who are not striking on the 30th - they are annoying me by planning to catch up on marking and admin in an empty school!!! They did the same in June and were so complacent the next day about the jolly day they'd had!!!

3. Excuse me if this is a silly question- how would the union KNOW where you were on strike day?

4. Anon_E_Mouse, I guess they would not know officially but it was pretty much general knowledge in June who was in work and who was not. Most staff did confirm to their union reps if they were striking and he passed on the final numbers to the Head to allow him to plan school closure.
    I forgot to tell my union rep and a member of SLT came to me while I was teaching to ask me if I was striking. I am not sure if that was appropriate but felt pressured to tell them my decision. I doubt though that this information was passed to the Union and as I will be striking again, it is a moot point really.
    Most staff will know who will be working and I think some will be feeling aggrieved with colleagues who do not follow the advice of their unions, so might 'grass' them up!
    I myself doubt that any action will be taken by the unions against strike breakers.

5. They can suggest you might want to leave. They can't legally make you leave or take any action against you. Why are you remaining in the union if you don't agree with the strike action? Why don't you join Voice?

6. I am not striking on the 30th November and am a member of the ATL, and have no intention of leaving.

I joined the ATL because they were a non-striking union.

I am a fully grown adult perfectly capable of making my own decisions - I don't need someone else to tell me what to do.
    (I didn't vote in the ballot as I had no intention of following the result of it.)

I will not be leaving the union as it is unfortunately in this day and age the legal protection is necessary.

Having worked in industry before teaching I have already had one final salary pension taken away and replaced by a money purchase scheme with higher contributions. **** happens, deal with it.

Those within 10 years of retirement should be protected, everyone else has time to make alternative arrangements.

Is it fair - no. Life isn't fair. If you think the new pension is so bad, leave the scheme now, freeze your current deal, start a private pension.

Whether Tories or Labour were in power this would have happened, the colour of the government on this occasion makes no difference.

Is the TPS in deficit - probably not and on this the government needs to come clean. Do we actually need to make changes to the scheme?

Now for the crunch comment. Teachers get paid well for what we do.

Do we work hard - Yes
    Do we make a difference - Yes
    Do we work for the money - No
    Do we do the job for the pension - if the answer to this is yes then something has gone wrong.

Now I shall sit back and wait for waves of abuse.

7. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Excellent post. Well said [​IMG]

8. Fangorn, I agree with a lot of the things that you've said, but I don't think the answers to your questions are quite so simple. Do we work for the money? Not completely, but I seriously doubt many of us would be doing it if we weren't being paid. Do we do the job for the pension? Again, not completely, but personally I've been working for a lot of years with the expectation of my pension, so I don't want to lose it if that can be avoided.
    You're right that we can all change to a different scheme, but I don't think we should be sucked into the media view that it is all about the pension. All over the public sector there is the expectation that we should be doing much more for much less, and if we don't like it, we should put up and shut up and think ourselves lucky to still be in work. I very much doubt that this will be the last bitter pill we are expected to swallow.
    The decision to strike or not to strike is purely a personal one, but it is not simply about the pension.

9. blazer

blazer Star commenter

What colour is the sky on your planet?

10. Well said fangom.

I'll be crossing the picket line, i'm not in a union anymore as I think that they're all as useless as each other on most points.

They've sat and watched working conditions deteriorate for teachers over the last 30+ years while taking everyone's subs. We're left with a profession that is pushed from pillar to post with every new government initiative and its been going on for years, sending intelligent, able, hard working and enthusiastic people into meltdown because they haven't produced the most recent stack of stupid paperwork that no-one will ever read.

If the unions ever actually spent some time trying to help us (and I mean properly, not just paying lip service to it) then I might consider joining again but not until I see some serious movement. All this talk and greed about money makes me think I am the only person that thinks that its quality of life thats important, not material ********. I'd rather have less money in my old age but have my health and sanity intact than a bigger bank balance but to be utterly shot to pieces because of working conditions I had to go through for decades.

You read thread after thread on here about nasty HT's/SMT and workplace bullying but when it comes to the strike people seem to think this is an opportunity to be aggressive and vile to anyone that isn't joining in. Apparently its perfectly acceptable to be the bully then...

Before I get loads of backlash, i'm not in the TPS, nor will I ever be.

11. mandala1

mandala1 Occasional commenter

I bet you don't have a mortgage to pay!!!

12. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

Of course, I forgot that I don't work for the money. What is it I work for again? OH, yes, the happy smiles of the dear children's faces when they finally master fractions. The shining joy in their eyes when they gaze at the Christmas tree in the hall. The grateful letters from the parents.
    I think the Government should just scrap the idea of salaries for teachers altogether. There are so many lovely happy teachers grateful for the opportunity to work with young 'uns - I'm sure there are thousands out there who would queue up to work for nothing...... For what use is money, when compared to the difference we make to young lives?

13. @ the last three posts, I love the way you intentionally misinterpret the comment.

To elaborate.

Do we work for the money - no. We do not come into teaching expecting massive salaries, we all know what the salary levels are capped at and what our potential earnings are. If we wanted to chase high salaries and massive bonuses we would not be working in the public sector. Do I have a mortgage - Yes. Do I enjoy my salary - Yes. Could I earn more in the private sector - yes. I chose to switch from the private sector to teaching. I chose to give up high remuneration in favour of doing something fulfilling. Is teaching a job - yes it is. My point, as you well know, is that like many public sector workers, particularly the emergency services, we do what we do because it makes a difference. @ the previous posts, good points all.

14. mandala1

mandala1 Occasional commenter

Your comment was badly phrased and open to misinterpretation. Does not the fact that 3 of us commented as we did indicate that???

15. Well, we did...until the pension plan changes came through. Money isn't my main motivation for teaching but nevertheless I need my salary and I like to be able to plan for the future based on, among other things, my take home pay and retirement age.

16. No abuse - just some factual points.
    You say you joined the ATL because it was a non-striking union. It is clearly no longer a non-striking union as its members have already taken strike action.
    You say you need to remain in the union for the legal protection. You could join Voice which is a non-striking union and still receive legal protection.

17. bizent

bizent Star commenter

Do I do this job for the money?
    Too f*cking right I do!!
    I'm not ashamed to admit it.
    It's not the only reason but it's big enough a reason that's stopped me quitting the job many times!!

18. dogcat

dogcat New commenter

I am not striking on Wednesday and I am in the NUT, I did strike in June. Now having a mortgage to pay solo I cannot afford to lose the days wages, especially out of my Christmas pay packet.
    I continued with the NUT from being a student teacher, I had not heard of Voice until reading about it on here.
    I will be reconsidering my union choice, as I do not agree with repeated striking, and nor can I afford to lose repeated days wages. I also think that as I have to work for at least 40 more years by then the TP will probably not exist anyway.
    I understand why people are striking on Wednesday, and I realise I am going against my union's advice but my finances have to come first at the moment.

19. baitranger

baitranger Occasional commenter

But you can afford to lose the increased pension contributions that will reduce your pay by much more over the next few years?

20. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Lead commenter

But you can afford the proposed pension increases? Do you think others on strike (many less well paid than teachers) are going to find losing pay easy, especially at this time of the year?
    At least you're thinking of joining an association which appears to more accurately reflect your values.