1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Choose a job you love...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by anon3372, Jan 27, 2011.

1. “Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life” - Confucius
    I have this stuck on my desk for those yucky days and today I was pondering about Confucius and what his job actually was, apart from providing us with little ditties which make us feel guilty for being imperfect...

2. “Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life” - Confucius
    I have this stuck on my desk for those yucky days and today I was pondering about Confucius and what his job actually was, apart from providing us with little ditties which make us feel guilty for being imperfect...

3. catmother

catmother Lead commenter

Indeed. Easy for him to say. I bet he did not have a mortgage and ever increasing bills to worry about!

4. but i do love my job - and it's still b****dy hard work
    confucius - huh!

5. Yes, I love mine too - but on some days it IS hard WORK!
    Having googled, I find:
    Born: 551 B.C.

Died: 478 B.C.

Nationality: Chinese

Education: Unclear, though Confucius'
    extensive knowledge of cultural literature and music point toward some sort of
    early formal education

mason, soldier, philosopher, teacher

Interests/Hobbies: Ancient
    rituals, societal order, government reform, playing of music.

hmmmm, he had a lot of jobs, didn't he?

6. anon468

anon468 New commenter

Trouble is, I could choose just such a job, but it wouldn't pay the mortgage and would most probably break my heart on a daily basis. [​IMG]

7. well - you could - but i have posted elsewhere explaining i work as a volunteer - i'm in the amazing posigtion of not needing the money, and the complicated position of needing the flexibility
    so - i do what i choose, and i do love it
    but it's still b***dy hard work
    confucius, he lie

8. he had to have a lot of jobs otherwise he wouldnt be able to absolutely state that by doing the job you love you never have to work a day in your life

9. Anyway, he got it the wrong way round.
    If it's not fun, make it fun.
    This was just a throwaway line from soneone I worked with who was totally fed up with people complaining about meetings and the like. If it's not fun, make it fun.is a great way to get the most out of what you're involved in, rather than sitting back, moaning to the person next to you and then not being able to remember the important bits 15 minutes later. (I'm prepared to make an exception for ghastly INSETs here.)

10. bizent

bizent Lead commenter

I've always wanted to be a train driver - i live in dreams

11. If it's not fun, make it fun.
    It requires a degree of kidology I just wasn't blessed with.

12. Anything that is one's job usually becomes a bit drudgy, no matter how much you initially love it. I was an illustrator working from home for some time (greetings cards, children's stuff) which on paper sounds wonderful - but it had it's drawbacks in the shape of silly deadlines and really annoying clients. They would choose you because they liked your style, then demand that you change everything about it.

I once had a client ask me to make the hanging icicles in my painting look a bit less sharp...

13. Teaching was never my first career choice. I have taught at some places and loved it -students that made me laugh and who at least tried to work on occassion, a supportive management team, and the belief that I was actually making a difference - good times . I have also taught at some places where I dreaded getting up each morning because another day .at work loomed large - forcing myself to get through another soul-destroying day because it payed the bills. And in both cases the job was hard work.
    I was never able to do the one job I always wanted to do.....My dream from a young age was to be a forensic scientist....I would have enjoyed it, but have no doubts it would still have been tough work.
    These days I'm unemployed due to disability....and there are times when just getting through the day is still pretty hard work!

14. If I were to choose a job I loved it would be the job I had before restructure, when I taught students that really wanted to learn and with a head of division that trusted us to get the job done and there was minimum of interference. Funnily enough, in those halcyon days, retention, success and achievement were at an all time high and ofsted rated us good with outstanding elements (in my division)
    Now, with constant worries about redundancies, competence, accoountability, getting students through, morale is low, stress levels are high, sickness is rife and the students are of such low calibre that it will take nothing short of a miracle to achieve those previously high levels , always asuming we succeed in keeping them, and we would be lucky to get a satisfactory grade.
    Will the powers that be learn from that.....of course not; that's why I am off.

15. thepd

thepd New commenter

I've resigned too - leaving teaching altogether while the going's still relatively good and before I'm 40. Couldn't imagine having to do the job until I'm nearly dead - despite going into it thinking I wanted the job for life. Funny how things change - I never thought I would.

16. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

What a depressing thought. I'm still hoping that demand for plump, past it, blonde pole dancers with big t!ts will increase. That'll be me sorted. [​IMG]

17. My **** are only small grapefruit sized but in every other respect I fit the bill. Will you ask the owner of any establishment that takes you on if they'll hire me too kibosh??? [​IMG]
    I can't pole-dance either, but I can learn.
    Was talking about this the other night. I really wish I'd had the guts to follow my heart when I was younger....after A levels. Teacher training college was the safe option. I really wanted to write or paint for a living but the openings just weren't there so I fell into teaching and found I was good at it. It appealed to my chatty, performing, nurturing side and seeing kids learn was satisfying. I used to really enjoy it - when I could employ my creativity and no one cared, but in later years I felt hemmed in, stressed and totally stifled by the prescriptive nature of the job. In fact, I used to dread going back to school on a Monday because I felt teaching was no more than ultra-stressful, exhausting drudgery.... and even the 'clientele' didn't want to participate.

18. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

It's done! Join the team [​IMG]
    There's nothing to learn. Like that we simply perfect the art of uncoordinated, unsexy and funny pole-dancing. There has to be a market for this. How hard could it be? [​IMG]

19. Oh I <u>so</u> agree kibosh. In fact, the pale flabby flesh, droopy bits and cellulite swinging about will all add to it's charm. Sounds like you are on to something......[​IMG]

20. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Yeah. It's a winner. Especially when we add spiders legs, stretch marks, varicose veins, muffin tops, dimples you could hide an orange in, triple chins and facial hairs to the picture. Beautiful. Mr Kibosh has just walked in the door and has read some of this thread. He assures me he would LOVE to be our dancing coach and business manager.