1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Choir songs from 100 years ago!

Discussion in 'Music' started by Mrs Music, Dec 6, 2011.

1. Mrs Music

Mrs Music New commenter

Next year is our school's centenary and as part of a concert/ arts evening to help commemorate the event, I thought that it would be good for the choir to perform some songs that may have been sung around a hundred years ago. So, any suggestions that might work well? There are around 30 in the choir and it is mixed boys and girls, aged 14-18.
    Many thanks!

2. Mrs Music

Mrs Music New commenter

Next year is our school's centenary and as part of a concert/ arts evening to help commemorate the event, I thought that it would be good for the choir to perform some songs that may have been sung around a hundred years ago. So, any suggestions that might work well? There are around 30 in the choir and it is mixed boys and girls, aged 14-18.
    Many thanks!

3. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Lead commenter

They'd very likely have sung traditional songs like 'All things bright and beautiful', 'The Ash Grove', 'Men of Harlech' and so on. I have the old Daily Mail songbook which is full of such songs. You can often find them in charity or junk shops and they have well written piano accompaniments too. They might have sung bits of oratorios, G&S and other light songs.

4. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

Something like Stanford's Songs of the Fleet (1910) perhaps? They need a male soloist (baritone, I think). Parry's Ode on the Nativity dates precisely from 1912. You might get away with Jerusalem, although it wasn't written until 1916.
    If you have an organ at the venue, and the choir are able to manage a little divisi of parts, I always think the piece most redolent of Edwardian England is the Evening Hymn by Henry Balfour Gardiner (John Eliot Gardiner's relative). Composed in 1908 when the Anglican church discovered Wagner:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAPM87OS_-c