1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Choir repertoire

Discussion in 'Music' started by princess_moose, Mar 15, 2011.

1. I am really struggling to get numbers for choir and then get them to stop whining about the songs!

We did a load of Xmas stuff for Xmas, then in a concert last week we did Rhythm of Life and Grenade. I allowed them to do Grenade if they sung the other one with some simple harmony, we all agreed. Concert performance, my song was awful, their hand picked Grenade one was much better in terms of performance.
    I am going to do I Can See Clearly Now in the next rehearsal but don't know what else to do.
    I need:

1. Fun songs that will get them to come back, compromising their poppy music and my other stuff
    2. Songs that start to include harmony so they can stop just singing in unison
    3. Songs that are not tooooo hard as they are not that experienced.
    Any ideas?!

2. v12

v12

I've just started learning The Daniel Jazz with my young choir - they love it. We did some of the songs from Captain Noah and His Amazing Floating Zoo last year which they absolutely loved - especially the 'Rain and rain and rain' song, and before that some of the Swinging Samson songs.
    This term they performed Tea for Two in a concert (with 8 to 10 year olds in the choir) and we'll be singing 'In Party Mood' next term (the Housewife's Choice music - very funny lyrics and a brilliant accompaniment).

3. Thanks!

Forgot to say it's secondary level!

4. In the past I have tried gospel songs with an SSA arrangement - that worked quite well

5. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

Have you looked at the sing up site? There are some songs on the site that would suit secondary choirs. Use the filters to narrow down to ks2/3 with harmony and I'll think you'll find some songs worth considering.

6. Hi - I have the same problem with my Yr 7 & 8 choir, so I've taken to doing numbers they will probably know in an attempt to keep them coming! So far its worked! I did 'Mercy' by Duffy last term with simple harmony and it went down a treat - I've just started Ain't No Mountain High Enough and Don't Blame It on the Sunshine and they like them. I always try and get a bit of movement into the performances which they love too. On the slower side we've done Hero. With my older choir I use a lot of Gospel arrangements, but we just did Your Song SSA which went down well.
    A really good one with simple harmony is Rule the World (Take That) - you can download a two part version from the sheetmusic sites.
    Hope that helps!

7. I second that - all my year 7s and 8s had sung songs from there in primary school and because all the songs are fairly suitable I told them to go through the site and come up with some suggestions. They really suprised me as I was trying the pop song/Glee route when they wanted to sing other things that were completely different - a particular favourite was "No Wars will Stop us Singing."

8. You have to do 'Fever', the Peggy Lee one. Complete with a bass and finger snaps! It is properly cool!