1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Choices other than GCSE languages

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by Kez101, Nov 26, 2011.

1. Thanks Lis. I agree a tutor does sound more sensible when I think it through. If anyone can advise of a way to find one - I suppose I can ask in school?

There are two facets to choosing it as an option:

The first is that he is bright, creative and musical, so with only three options allowed to thse doing triple science it is going to be difficult for him to choose anyway.

The second : He might get extra time but he has seen the time his sister has had to spend learning things rote fashion and it would, honestly, take him 5 or 10 times as long and then it will be spelt phonetically rather than correctly (although I suspect Spanish will be more accurate as I understand it's more phonetic anyway) In fact, he has never tried rote learning like this - but 10 english spellings a week is hard enough; it, it may even prove to be virtually impossible. His Dyslexia is severe. With the demands core GCSE and triple science will place on him anyway, I think I can fully understand his reasoning for dropping it.

But it's the keeping the continuity going until he can access the informal languages at sixth form which he wants to do. He is the sort of lad who'd be best off sent to the country to learn, if you know what I mean. Better immersed in doing it, listening and speaking it than in the study of it. Purely because of the difficulty in accessing the written word at the level his brain works at. It drives him nuts (literally).

2. loodle1

loodle1 Occasional commenter

He won't have the ebac without an MFL GCSE though. If he were to take a language he should be entitled to extra help and support and remember half of the GCSE is in speaking and listening. There is even a short course available which is just speaking and listening, maybe that's something his school would condsider.

3. musiclover1

musiclover1 New commenter

He sounds like a mature young man who knows what he wants and what he can do. Going to the country sounds like a good idea! He could always try to take some of the GCSE papers on the strengths of what he achieved with his tutor. If he's bright GCSE won't be as hard as he imagines. Maybe his sister learnt everything by rote, but he might 'wing it' and pass on the strength of his oral skills.