1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Choices-HELP

Discussion in 'Personal' started by FSharp, May 2, 2012.

1. FSharp

FSharp New commenter

I am moving to London in June and thought that I would be able to get the School bus into School as currently I am getting a lift. I had not thought that this would be a problem, but it is I am not guaranteed a space on the school bus and I will have to pay full price. Which means at any time of the year I may not be able to get into school. The School is in the middle of no where so using public transport is not an option.
    I am considering handing in my notice at the end of the summer term and looking for another job at Christmas. If something does not come up I thought I could always do cover work.
    What are peoples thoughts on this?

2. FSharp

FSharp New commenter

I am moving to London in June and thought that I would be able to get the School bus into School as currently I am getting a lift. I had not thought that this would be a problem, but it is I am not guaranteed a space on the school bus and I will have to pay full price. Which means at any time of the year I may not be able to get into school. The School is in the middle of no where so using public transport is not an option.
    I am considering handing in my notice at the end of the summer term and looking for another job at Christmas. If something does not come up I thought I could always do cover work.
    What are peoples thoughts on this?

3. thepd

thepd New commenter

I'm presuming you don't drive/haven't got a car. Depending on distance, bike to work perhaps? I used to cycle 4 miles to work. Is it really worth resigning over?

4. gergil4

gergil4 New commenter

Can you put a note on the staffroom noticeboard asking for a lift? People may be glad of a contribution towards their petrol costs.

5. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

SERIOUSLY, do NOT hand your notice in hoping to do cover work!
    Just check on the supply forum at the current lack of work and complete lack of it in many cases.
    The idea of car-pooling is a good one and there must be other alternatives.

6. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

What is the problem paying full price on ther bus? If you had a car you'd have to pay tax, insurance, petrol, MOT, repairs.The bus can't be THAT expensive.

7. FSharp

FSharp New commenter

Thats not the issue for me it is that I could lose my place on the school bus if a student needs it

8. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

Speak to the school about this - your HT will probably do his/her best to help you arrange a lift if there's a risk you might not be able to make it into school.
    What did they say when you got the job? Did you discuss transport?
    Personally, I'd hate to go to school on the bus with pupils - my working day would start the minute I got on, and I would expect to be in teacher mode all the way there.

9. 576

576 Established commenter

Huh?!? So you thought you could get the school bus - which means it must pass by / stop near where you will be living - in London.
    yet the school is in the middle of nowhere with no public transport links?
    This makes no sense - a school bus picks students up in London and carries them to school in the middle of nowhere where there is no public transport!
    If the catchment for the school was the Yorkshire Moors, or The Cotswolds or some such rural area I might see your point, but London - middle of nowhere - public transport not an option - doesn't makes sense!

10. If public transport isn't an option, why did you write that you will have to 'pay full price'?
    When I had the option of taking the school bus I didn't take it once and neither did any other teacher.
    Why would you want to be the only adult on a bus full of kids?

11. If you mean that you have to pay full price on the school bus, bear in mind that the students are all paying too.
    Have you been told that you can't have a place on the bus, or that you can't have a free place on the bus?

12. Pupils don't pop up out of nowhere. Should a new student enrol who needs a place on the bus then you would have notice to look for alternative transport.

13. doomzebra

doomzebra Occasional commenter

You are moving to London but not changing jobs? From where are you moving and how far into London is the school's catchment area?
    Why would you ever not have to pay full price?
    How will you get to school between September and Christmas?
    I had no idea getting cover work was so simple.
    That it needs an apostrophe.

14. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I'm still puzzling over an area of London that is in the middle of nowhere. (??)

15. doomzebra

doomzebra Occasional commenter

Perhaps it is an altogether different London? Ontario perhaps?

16. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

17. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

Maybe it's a Special School or an independent one? That might explain the location.

18. Its obviously an independent school as state schools don't run private buses.
    What is less obvious is how a London school can be in a remote area and why the OP would consider resigning because he or she will have to pay for the school bus.
    Is there some other issue which hasn't been mentioned?

19. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

Even if the regular bus doesn't pass the school gates I would have thought she could get the bus or tube part of the way and walk the rest. Like many people do, it can't be that remote.

20. The bus is driven by Snake Plissken ....Escape from Penge.