1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

choice of non hollywood films for wjec gcse

Discussion in 'Media studies' started by spamandothers, Jul 9, 2011.

1. Hi. have a very able group in Sept and wondering whether anyone taught all of the films on the wjec spec for non hollywood or whether you teach one and then invite students to choose which film to focus on in the exam? Thank you.

2. we focus on two, suggest they do them in the exam, but leave it to them to decide.

3. lizgaskell

lizgaskell Occasional commenter

Hi there
    I am teaching WJEC Film Studies for the first time to a group that did early entry English- in fact, we started the day after the last English exam!
    I love the idea of teaching them all (hadn't occured to me) but not sure if time will allow. We have 3 hrs a week for a year but you may be different.
    I have decided to teach them Devil's Bacbone - mainly because it is one of my favourite films anyway.
    This means that we can study/watch more Disaster movies for Paper One. I love these too!
    If they are very able though, once they understand how to analyse one they might be able to apply this to the others? what about putting them into groups and making them 'experts' on each and getting them to present to the rest of the class? (I think this has actually given me ideas!)
    Have you taught this before Spam?

Liz

4. Hi. Love the idea of experts on each film, thanks. Yes, have taught once before, but three years ago.

5. Have you seen http://film.edusites.co.uk - it's the new site for Film Studies teachers, FilmEdu.

Worth a look!

6. lizgaskell

Fully paid up member of Media, English and Filmedu thanks! They are super and I reccommend them to everyone- have on this thread I think?- although I am thinking about stopping mediaedu as I cannot afford it really- HUGE shame.

Any chance of some resources fro The Devil's Backbone? Pretty please?
    Liz[​IMG]

7. Liz, have you seen this:

http://www.pearsonschoolsandfecolleges.co.uk/FEAndVocational/CreativeandMedia/GCSE/GCSEFilmStudiesforWJEC/FreeResources/FreeResources.aspx

8. lizgaskell

Hi spam
    Yep, got this thanks but always looking out for other resources and mediaedu has provided some detailed exam prep in the past.
    Thanks anyway
    Liz