1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Chocolate

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by lapinrose, Jul 31, 2011.

1. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

2. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

3. I can't believe this has gone without a reply!
    I went to a chocolate workshop last year. I have made truffles for years but never managed to get that 'snap' in my flavoured choccy pieces. The nice lady said she would address this in the day.
    So I got there and she spent the whole day talking about how to temper chocolate by temperature, in a microwave, in a bain, with and without a thermometer, how to bring it back etc.
    So we all made easter eggs and flat flowers.... and a couple of us got a huge amount of info on how to make our chocolate 'snap'.
    It was great! My eggs got raffled and Climber loved the covered, colourful shapes I made!
    When you get back let me know how it went. I bet you won't want to do much tasting... your pores will be filled with chocolate!

4. I can't believe I didn't see this!
    These days I can only get pleasure from hearing about chocolate so tell all lapin.........was it fab? What did you make?
    *whimper,whimper*

5. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

Reveal all please!

6. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

It was fantastic, first we had a tasting of different chocolate, % cocoa butter and single estate chocolate, then we made some ganache, and then were let lose to play. Wow it was fun, rolling ganache and dipping, making rounds, dipping bits and pieces, just like an adult playday.

7. This is not good enough lapin! Did you eat it, what does single estate chocolate taste like? What did you dip? How did you make the ganache?
    I need more details!!!

8. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

OK, ok, The girl doing the demo made the ganache, just heated double cream and poured it over chocolate callets, added nutmeg and vanilla.
    The tastings were of Madagascar and Peru, both 64% cocoa solids, earthy taste, slightly bitter a full taste of cocoa, then an Ivory coast 80%, disappointing as less flavoured than the other 2. We also tried chocolate with geranium, strawberry and chilli, cardamom etc.
    We dipped truffles, marshmallows, pretzels, nuts and fingers of course!!

9. Aaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
    Thank you!

10. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

Wow that sounds look Lapin.
    I've had chocolate with geranium and cardamom before - both wonderful. I am less keen on chilli in my chocolate. I'll just stick with a bit of chocolate in my chilli!

11. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

I need chocolate. NOW!

12. Not stuck, but always pleased to have new truffle recipes.
    I made some gorgeous ones at Christmas flavoured with espresso but can't remember how I did it! That is the problem with experimenting - at my age anyway.