1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

chocolate topic

Discussion in 'Primary' started by minky4uk44, Jan 11, 2011.

1. <font size="2">Hello all!</font><font size="2">My primary school is doing a whole school topic on chocolate!! I have a few ideas of what I could do/teach but need help linking it to science and French.</font><font size="2">I&rsquo;ve thought about the reversible, irreversible change, making crispy buns, but I want a really good experiment to get the kids interested in. Can any one please help? </font><font size="2"> Any other ideas relating to maths, literacy, art, music, pe would be fab.</font><font size="2">Please help!!</font>

2. <font size="2">Hello all!</font><font size="2">My primary school is doing a whole school topic on chocolate!! I have a few ideas of what I could do/teach but need help linking it to science and French.</font><font size="2">I&rsquo;ve thought about the reversible, irreversible change, making crispy buns, but I want a really good experiment to get the kids interested in. Can any one please help? </font><font size="2"> Any other ideas relating to maths, literacy, art, music, pe would be fab.</font><font size="2">Please help!!</font>

3. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Why do you need to link it to all subjects?
    I have used the Michael Rosen Poem Chocolate (plus a chocolate button for each child) as an introduction to the topic and change by heat then gone on to investigate whether the size of the pieces of chocolate affect the time taken to melt chocolate (you could also use white milk and dark and see if it makes a difference) We used moulds to show it can become a solid again.
    We used wrappers to create a pictograph of favourite chocolate brands and did a survey of other classes and used ICT to create graphs of the results.

4. inky

inky Lead commenter

Having to link it with all topics is the sledgehammer approach to the Creative Curriculum, and one of the things that drove out its predecessor, the Topic Based Curriculum The mental contortions necessary proved ludicrous.

5. I don't know if this would be of any use to you but the V&A museum had a chocolate exhibition featuring packaging, posters, chocolate bag design - Gucci I think? etc. It was a VERY VERY SMALL exhibtion which I would NOT go all the way down there for ONLY that. But there may be some info online that may give you a few ideas perhaps?

6. Geography - the rainforest. Fair Trade (SEAL)
    History - The Aztecs,
    Literacy - Roald Dahl
    D&T - chocolate production
    Art - the Aztecs, wrapper design
    I.C.T. - packaging, research,
    We do this topic in the Summer - it's brilliant! Kids love it. Trip to Cadbury World.

7. Also see museum of brands and packaging may have some content online . Had a nice display on the changes of Roses chocolate packaging over the years.

8. Msz

9. Msz

http://www.mce.k12tn.net/chocolate/charlie/charlie_and_the_chocolate_factor.htm

http://webtech.kennesaw.edu/jcheek3/chocolate.htm

http://www.roalddahlfans.com/books/char.php

10. cally1980

cally1980 Established commenter

We also designed posters and adverts around the marketing of a chocolate bar, it was great fun!

Also, in Maths we did a smarties investigation day and had lots of activities involving smarties e.g. would you rather have your height in smarties (laid out in a single smartie line) or the weight of 1/2/3 apples in smarties. They didnt have enough smarties and so had to scale up. That is just the one off the top of my head but we had other similar ones.

11. toty

toty New commenter

Some lovelyideas/resources here:
    http://www.teachitprimary.co.uk/index.asp?CurrMenu=searchresults&keyword=chocolate&search_go_bttn.x=22&search_go_bttn.y=13