1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Chocolate cake help

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by littlemissraw, Jun 6, 2011.

1. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

Rich Chocolate Cake
    Ingredients

Cake
    4.5oz plain choc
    3oz butter
    3oz caster sugar
    5.25oz ground almonds
    3 eggs

Topping
    Apricot Jam
    2oz butter
    3oz chocolate

Preheat the oven to 180°C, gas mark 4.
    Line tin with non stick paper.
    Melt chocolate.
    Cream butter with sugar, until light.
    Separate eggs.
    Stir in ground almonds, egg yolks and melted chocolates.
    Whisk egg whites until stiff and fold into chocolate mixture.
    Pour into tin, bake for 20-30 mins until firm to touch.
    Cool.
    Coat with jam.
    Melt the remaining chocolate & butter. Pour over the cake.

2. littlemissraw

Raspberry & Cranberry Roulade

Ingredients

Roulade
    175g plain chocolate
    5 eggs (separated)
    200g Caster sugar
    25g plain flour

Filling & Decoration
    300ml double cream
    150g frozen raspberries (thawed)
    4tbsp cranberry sauce
    Icing sugar (to dust)

• Preheat the oven to 180/160 Fan/Gas 4.
    • Grease and line a Swiss Roll tin (35x25cm) with baking paper.
    • Break up the chocolate a melt in a bowl over water or in a microwave.
    • Whisk the egg yolks and 175g of the caster sugar until pale & creamy.
    • Gradually beat in the melted chocolate.
    • Sift the flour and fold into the mixture.
    • Whisk the whites in a clean bowl, add a large spoonful to the chocolate mixture, fold in to loosen the mixture before carefully folding in the rest of the egg whites.
    • Spread the mixture in the lined tin.
    • Bake for 15-20 mins until firm to touch.
    • Sprinkle the remaining 25g caster sugar over a sheet of baking parchment and invert the sponge onto it.
    • Cover with a clean damp tea towel and allow to cool.
    • Whip the cream until it holds it shape.
    • Add the raspberries and cranberry sauce stirring just once or twice.
    • Spread the roulade with the cream mixture and roll, peeling back the baking parchment as you go.
    • Dust with icing sugar to finish.

3. littlemissraw

Magic Choc Pudding

Ingredients
    125g plain flour
    pinch salt
    60g caster sugar
    2 tsp baking powder
    120ml milk
    2 tbsp cocoa powder
    40g melted butter
    1 egg
    Vanilla essence

Sauce
    180g muscovado sugar
    2 tbsp cocoa powder
    250ml boiling water

• This pudding can be made the day before you need it and kept in fridge overnight.
    • Sift the flour, salt, baking powder, sugar and cocoa into a bowl.
    • Beat together the milk, melted butter, egg and vanilla and mix well into the flour mixture.
    • Pour into the greased pie dish. If storing overnight, cover with cling film and put in fridge.
    • Just before cooking - preheat oven to 180 C remove clingfilm and sprinkle the sugar and cocoa over the pudding.
    • Pour the boiling water over the pudding and cook for about 30 minutes until risen and firm. The pudding will be sitting in it's own chocolate sauce which can be spooned over the top. Serve with cream or ice cream.

4. littlemissraw

Mars Muffins

Ingredients
    • 175 g butter
    • 175 g caster sugar
    • 3 medium eggs
    • 250 g self-raising flour
    • 50 g cocoa powder
    • 6-8 Mars bars
    • 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
    • 1 teaspoon baking powder
    • 150 ml milk

Directions
    1. Cream the butter and sugar.
    2. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well.
    3. Add vanilla essence.
    4. Sift the flour, cocoa and baking powder and fold into the butter/sugar/egg mixture.
    5. Stir in the milk.
    6. Chop (quite finely) the Mars Bars and add to the mix.
    7. Grease/line a muffin tray and spread the batter evenly.
    8. Bake at Gas Mark 6/200C/400F for approximately 15 minutes.

5. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

I have a great recipe for a chocolate and hazelnut cake - I'll post it up later when I'm sat at my computer and not on my phone!

6. http://www.nigella.com/recipes/view/old-fashioned-chocolate-cake-119

I always resort to this cake whenever I need a chocolate cake. It's just so easy and is made in a food processor. I've made it lots of times and it's never failed to be amazing. If you do have a go I'd recommend more icing sugar than she recommends in the topping as I like my topping a bit thicker.

7. FrauSue

FrauSue New commenter

8. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

OK, here is the recipe as promised. Its not really for the faint-hearted! Its supposed to serve 12 but I made this to take to friends who live in Lichfield over the weekend and my friend texted me earlier on to say they'd devoured the whole thing already!
    Heat your oven to GM4. Grease two round tins and line the bases with baking parchment. Melt 100g of butter in a small saucepan, add 75g dark muscavado and stir until melted. Remove from the heat and stir in 100g roughly chopped malted milk biscuits and 100g chopped hazelnuts. Divide the mixture between the tins.
    Put 250g butter and 125g dark muscavado in a bowl with 100g caster sugar and whisk until light and fluffy. Whisk in 4 beaten eggs, then sift in 150g self-raising flour and 25g cocoa powder. Fold in 75g ground hazelnuts. Spoon this mixture over the biscuit mixture in the tins and level the surfaces. Bake in the centre of the oven for 30 mins or until cooked.
    When partially cooled, turn the cakes out of the tins and peel off the parchment. While the cakes are still warm, spread 4tbsp nutella over one of the cake bases and sandwich together with the other. Leave to cool and then chill in the fridge until completely cold.
    Heat 150ml double cream, 100g plain chocolate and 25g butter gently in a saucepan until everything has melted and then bring to the boil, stirring constantly. Simmer for 1 minute and then leave to cool. When completely cool, whisk the micture until light and fluffy. Remove the cake from the fridge and cover the top and sides of the cake with the icing and decorate with hazelnuts.