1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Chocolat (1988) A level French

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by PloddingOn, Sep 2, 2020.

1. PloddingOn

PloddingOn New commenter

I was just wondering if anyone else is teaching this film this year? It isn't my choice and my department doesn't have many resources to support it. So if anyone else out there is doing it, it would be great to exchange ideas and potentially have students from different schools discussing it together as we have a painfully small y12 group.
    Thanks !

2. ChocolateChunk

ChocolateChunk New commenter

Hi,

I am a bit baffled. Why was it chosen by a third party who doesn't teach it and still imposed it on you with no support and resources?
    Is it deep enough to get to the AO? Is it for AQA?

3. PloddingOn

PloddingOn New commenter

Chosen by the HOD and to be fair it does have plenty to discuss and is a bit less bleak than La Haine for example. There are some resources (I keep finding more, new school things aren't always saved in the most logical place) but the department hasn't had a Y12 in a few years so nothing very recent. Also having previously taught La Haine there is so much out there in terms of resources for teaching it but Chocolat seems not to have very much.

It is fine - I enjoy the film and can happily make resources but if people already have things it would be nice to share.

4. ChocolateChunk

ChocolateChunk New commenter

La Haine is fairly easy to teach, the main themes and sub-themea are not too hard to tackle in class. There are some study guides that you can purchase online. There is plenty of depth to explore for A04. We have been teaching it for four years and students perform well with it.