1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Chlorinated Chicken - Yum !

Discussion in 'Personal' started by peakster, Jun 4, 2020.

1. peakster

peakster Star commenter

2. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

Is it all actually a "storm in a teacup"? Buyers buy what they prefer, or what they can afford. If buyers don't buy it (assuming it is labelled properly), and it is more expensive, then what is the point of offering it at all?
    BTW I don't personally fancy it, and most things US based are arsollery, esp from Trump.

3. peakster

peakster Star commenter

You would hope so.

4. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

I'm more concerned that it gets sneaked into all sorts of prepared freezer-shop stuff. Even if it's on there, i doubt many people read the provenance of the ingredients.

5. peakster

peakster Star commenter

They could store it in a Swimming pool

Jolly_Roger15 and Bedlam3 like this.
  6. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

US agri business won't be satisfied merely with us having to accept chlorinated chicken, they'll also insist it isn't identified as such on the label.

7. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

Has anyone here been to the USA and eaten a chicken dish? What was it like?

artboyusa and needabreak like this.
  8. peter12171

peter12171 Star commenter

border_walker and ACOYEAR8 like this.
  9. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

If anything the chlorine makes ir safer to eat, bacteria-wise. That's not the issue. It's chlorinated because it permits much lower standards of animal welfare to exist.

10. Rott Weiler

What the actual chickens taste like has long since ceased to be what the "chlorinated chickens" argument is about. (I don't think anyone ever said the chickens tasted of chlorine, the argument was that the chlorine wash disguised poor animal welfare practices.)

Anyway debating the safety taste or anything else about actual chickens is to misunderstand why it is argued about. It isn't an argument about chickens per se, it's a proxy argument about whether the UK would have the bargaining power to get more of its own way than not when negotiating with the US once we leave the EU compared to being an EU member. The poor dead chickens themselves don't really come into it, and proving they are completely safe would not resolve the argument.

So chlorinated chickens have become a political shorthand for "will the UK be shafted by Trump in a post-Brexit trade deal?" Something Gove picked up right from the start

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...eal-chlorinated-chicken-michael-gove-liam-fox

(I'm sure there are more recent articles about government ministers saying this too)

Mangleworzle and chelsea2 like this.
  11. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

The issue is not about ingesting trade amounts of chlorine. It's about the need for chlorination in the US poultry industry because of the treatment of the chickens and the filthy conditions.

12. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

I read before that Trump was insisting on no labelling as a requirement of a trade deal.

ETA @Rott Weiler beat me to it.

13. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

I doubt he will be around to finalise the deal and/or that the packaging won't somehow give the game away that this chicken was 'Born in the USA'.

The issue of how it affects animal welfare is the one I'd think opponents need to fight on, for if the chicken is cheaper and tastes good (which it does - very) then it is very unlikely the British consumer is going to get all principled about it for long, if at all.

14. emerald52

emerald52 Star commenter

It’ll be in pies, school dinners, prison food and fast food. The price of high welfare chickens will rise due to competition and Britsh poultry farmers will lose business.

15. modelmaker

modelmaker Senior commenter

High welfare chicken already costs substantially more than the bog standard cheap stuff. Not many people seem to buy it though, if the amount on display is anything to go by. I don't see what would prompt the price to rise, or why the sort of chicken we're talking about would have any impact at all on farmers who grow chickens ethically.

alex_teccy likes this.
  16. Rott Weiler

Not many people buy what, the 'high welfare' chickens - organic, free range, traditional breeds etc?

I don't know any actual statistics, and I'm sure it varies enormously depending on how wealthy/poor an area is, but I don't see having large amounts of it on display is evidence of not many people buying it. It's surely evidence of exactly the opposite?

Lots is on display because it's what customers (of that shop anyway) want to buy. A butcher wouldn't fill their display with stuff that their customers weren't buying. (They might do it once as a new product line but wouldn't keep doing it if it wasn't selling.)

peter12171 and bombaysapphire like this.
  17. burajda

burajda Star commenter

If people really cared so much, they'd be vegetarian.

18. burajda

burajda Star commenter

Only a few parts of the world are suitable for beef production. Places like the western parts of the UK, France and Ireland. I'd hate to see huge amounts of unsustainable US beef coming in .

19. modelmaker

modelmaker Senior commenter

There are very few butchers shops left. The vast majority of people are buying meat from supermarkets.

20. Rott Weiler

Well that depends where you are! There are 7 within a mile of me.

But when I said 'butchers' I included butchers counters in supermarkets as well as high street butchers shops. Or anywhere else selling chickens. It doesn't make any difference to the point I was making, they stock what their customers want to buy, not what they aren't buying.