1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

CHLID INITIATED PLANNING - How do you do it?

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by rebecca79, Jan 13, 2011.

1. Hi, hoping for some advice and ideas!!
    We are currently re-thinking how we plan in our foundation unit (we have upto 90 children nursery and reception at any one time). There are 2 reception classes (29 and 29 kids) and nursery am and pm groups.
    Currently each reception class has 5-10 min literacy and numeracy (one 9.30am and one 1.00pm after lunch)adult whole class input each day. After the input I work with a group in my class (around 5 children) to do focus adult led work on the objective - try and do this around interests in different areas of the class. often end up doing different activities with each group but all do the same objective. This happens for numeracy and literacy (jolly phonics at the moment).
    The reception stop for 20 mins before lunch for phonics session - we follow the letters and sounds and have 3 groups based on ability.
    The rest of the time is soley CI play - they can access any area of provision inside or outside. I spend the rest of my time observing, writing stickers, taking photos and playing alongside the children.
    As we have 90ish children it is really hard to follow everyones interests in every area - we try and pick common interests in areas/or maybe a specific one for a particular child.
    I think we have this part OK.
    What I am wondering is how you record this? Do you have a large whiteboard planning board with each area of class - write childrens initials, enhancements etc for the week?
    We have a large sheet of paper Mon - Fri and each area of class. We write on enhancements we put out, what role-play is etc for each day - we try and annotate it each day - as needs/ interests change and we put childrens initials next to enhancemenet we have put out. This is all done retrospectivley each evening after school, we call get together for 10 mins to discuss/enhance.
    Just wondering if you guys have better suggestions on how to record the planning for each area, templates etc you'd be willing to share?
    bek_79@hotmail.com
    Any help gratefully recieved, thanks so much xx[​IMG][*]

2. Hi, hoping for some advice and ideas!!
    We are currently re-thinking how we plan in our foundation unit (we have upto 90 children nursery and reception at any one time). There are 2 reception classes (29 and 29 kids) and nursery am and pm groups.
    Currently each reception class has 5-10 min literacy and numeracy (one 9.30am and one 1.00pm after lunch)adult whole class input each day. After the input I work with a group in my class (around 5 children) to do focus adult led work on the objective - try and do this around interests in different areas of the class. often end up doing different activities with each group but all do the same objective. This happens for numeracy and literacy (jolly phonics at the moment).
    The reception stop for 20 mins before lunch for phonics session - we follow the letters and sounds and have 3 groups based on ability.
    The rest of the time is soley CI play - they can access any area of provision inside or outside. I spend the rest of my time observing, writing stickers, taking photos and playing alongside the children.
    As we have 90ish children it is really hard to follow everyones interests in every area - we try and pick common interests in areas/or maybe a specific one for a particular child.
    I think we have this part OK.
    What I am wondering is how you record this? Do you have a large whiteboard planning board with each area of class - write childrens initials, enhancements etc for the week?
    We have a large sheet of paper Mon - Fri and each area of class. We write on enhancements we put out, what role-play is etc for each day - we try and annotate it each day - as needs/ interests change and we put childrens initials next to enhancemenet we have put out. This is all done retrospectivley each evening after school, we call get together for 10 mins to discuss/enhance.
    Just wondering if you guys have better suggestions on how to record the planning for each area, templates etc you'd be willing to share?
    bek_79@hotmail.com
    Any help gratefully recieved, thanks so much xx[​IMG][*]

3. Thongy1

Thongy1 New commenter

There are some templates on Alistair's blog:
    http://abcdoes.typepad.com/

4. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

I was going to suggest these too. I have started using his plans this year and they work well. I changed the daiyl plan slightly, so that instead of my focus plan at the top I write my class input session in as I already had a focus plan I was happy with and that met the needs of the head.