1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Chinese Z Visa and spouse visa

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by thekrakensmith, Feb 11, 2019.

  1. thekrakensmith

    thekrakensmith New commenter


    I have been lucky enough to be offered a last minute post in a school I'm really excited about, and I'm moving to China as soon as the visa works through, but I'm new to this and I've a couple questions for anyone that has done this!
    Firstly, now I've sent my authenticated documents (dear lord what a process!) any ideas how long it takes from here? It doesn't seem like it should be too long, the embassy site says it's a four day processing time, but I understand that there is some documents my school needs to send me before this.
    Secondly, I want my husband to move with me, as a trailing spouse. I'm not sure what the process is for him, has anyone else done this and is there anything anyone can share?

    I am waiting to hear back from my school's HR team, but I'm interested in the actual experiences of people that have done it!
  2. spanboy

    spanboy Occasional commenter

    Your husband will need an S1 spousal visa. It basically is affiliated to your Z visa. He will need to do some of the things you will have to do e.g. a medical examination, but not all e.g. won't need a police check. Your school will know what's needed. Contact them asap as things are constantly changing here in China.
  3. february31st

    february31st Established commenter

    If you husband has a full time 3 yr degree it may be worth getting this authenticated and a police check done. Plenty of mickey mouse type teaching jobs available in Shanghai.
  4. adrixargentina

    adrixargentina Occasional commenter

    Does anyone know if my husband were to enter on an S1 visa, would he be able to change it to a zvisa from within China if he found work?
  5. february31st

    february31st Established commenter

    It use to be possible to exchange visa in Shanghai without leaving the country but regulations have been tightened.

    It may be necessary to fly out of China back to the country of the passport and have the Visa department of the Embassy complete the Z visa.

    Our school has done both routes last year in Shanghai.

    Outside of tier 1 cities things are easier to complete.
  6. amysdad

    amysdad Established commenter

    Remember too that - at the moment anyway - flying out of China also includes Hong Kong, which doesn't need a visa for UK nationals (or, I think, US) going there on holiday.
  7. february31st

    february31st Established commenter

    Flying out to HK is OK for a tourist visa re-new run but for a new Z visa applicants in Shanghai have been asked to return to the UK to have the application completed in the usual way. It all depends on how much influence your school has, some schools appear willing to do the work themselves to change a visa over.

    I know teachers now who needed to fly to Manchester with their documentation, attend the interview to hand in their application, wait 3 days to pick up their Z visa and then fly back to Shanghai.

Share This Page