1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Chinese visa

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by robspillane, Mar 13, 2018.

  1. TeacherMan19

    TeacherMan19 Occasional commenter

    So I got a job in China (yay) and have to go through the process of the health check etc.
    Now, I’ve worked out I’m going to have to go to Manchester or London as they seem to be the only cities where I can get the relevant health check done. However much I’ve tried googling and ringing my doctors and other healthcare providers. I also will need to get some documents authenticated by the Chinese embassy. Does anyone know if I can send these to the embassy or if I have to physically go down to take them and pick them up a few days later?
    I’m in Leeds so better if I can send them as no doubt I’ll be there for a few days if I have to take them.
    If anyone has had any experience of moving to China or is in the process of it then feel free to strike up a conversation to chat about it
    TES_Gillian likes this.
  2. february31st

    february31st Established commenter


    I always turn up at an Embassy, Consulate or Visa Office in person to apply for a visa. Firstly you can sort any minor issues on the spot and secondly I don't like letting my documents out of my sight or trust any postal or carrier service.

    If you do use a postal service make sure you insure your documents for at least 2500UK Pounds for value and replacement costs.
  3. ChaiLattePlease

    ChaiLattePlease New commenter

    I'm pretty sure there's a really detailed thread all about Chinese visas - it's what I'm here to look for today! I'll post the link below if I find it.
  4. ChaiLattePlease

    ChaiLattePlease New commenter

  5. the hippo

    the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

    Keep all the receipts (you might even get your money back) and read my blog.
    robspillane likes this.
  6. seendee

    seendee New commenter

    Do we apply for the Chinese work visa ourselves or the school will apply for us?
  7. february31st

    february31st Established commenter

    The school will provide you with a letter of introduction that you need to take the Chinese Visa center in London or Manchester with all your other processed documents.

    You should then be issued with a single entry Z visa which allows you to enter China and apply for a work visa.
  8. lovely.lady

    lovely.lady Occasional commenter

    Word of warning if you're going to be wearing rubber boots in China. Their employment contracts for foreign teachers do not comply with PRC Labour Law, neither are they written with adherence to UK Employment law. This means that they can do what they want if or when you fall out of favour (so true for the paddy and hook nose in Shanghers). The Chinese management simply 'speak' to the judiciary if you have the nerve to question them!
    However, not having a properly governed employment contract is an infringement on the visa issuance and guess who will get the blame and be deported?
  9. dandad3

    dandad3 New commenter

    Has anyone had a tourist visa L turned into a residence permit? Can we ask the school/agency to guarantee salary if they make the fault of giving me an L visa when it should have been a Z visa?
  10. lovely.lady

    lovely.lady Occasional commenter

    It is against the law to enter China as an employee on the L visa, it cannot be turned into a residency/working visa. If you don’t qualify for the Z visa you can’t take up the job.
  11. cupasoup28

    cupasoup28 New commenter

    I’ve just had my visa done at Manchester. You have to go to the office as they need your finger prints to apply for a Z visa. You then need to wait around until 3pm before they tell you if it’s okay for you to get a visa and pay for it. The visa will be ready in 4 days or can be posted back.
  12. dandad3

    dandad3 New commenter

    I have another issue that an agency (with a different address to the School) will get the Z visa yet the work location is the School. I assume that when we apply for the Z visa, we tell the entry/exit bureau where (the address) we will be working? I don't want to have a Z permit from even another city such as Wuhan while working in Shanghai.

Share This Page