1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Chinese Visa Panic?

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by ickleangellady1, Jun 26, 2018.

Tags:
  1. ickleangellady1

ickleangellady1 New commenter

Hi
    I have a bit of a panic about my Chinese visas. I'm a British citizen who is going to China to teach. I have only just started the visa process but it is a much lengthier process than I thought it would be. My problem is that after mid-July I have nowhere to live in the UK and so was going to go travelling until I moved to China in mid August but I have since learned that the school send you a letter that you have to actually take to a Chinese embassy to collect your visa. My question is, do I have to take it to a Chinese embassy in my home country or can I take it to one in say Bangkok? It obviously makes a huge difference to my plans. Does anyone have any experience?

2. SunsetBeach

SunsetBeach New commenter

My school wanted to know where I would be applying before they started this process and I think they have to include this information. It’s probably best to contact them and check.

3. Teachallover

Teachallover Occasional commenter

The letter is emailed so it doesn’t matter where you are. Although you do have to make clear from the beginning which visa centre you will be applying from.

4. shazzamac

shazzamac New commenter

I was told that I had to present it at the embassy I stated st the start of the process. As time got shorter I asked about changing and they said they couldn't help.
    In the end, got it in time. Can't see anything on the paper that says it's has to go yo a soecific place, but then it might be digital info on the barcode. When you take it in, it took me only a couple of days.

5. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

icleangellady1, I have sent you a TES Conversation thing.

6. the hippo

I have just re-read the OP's post and I thought that perhaps I should explain what happened when an overweight hippopotamus applied for his Chinese Z visa and one for his patient and long-suffering wife. (Now this was five years ago, but I doubt if things have changed.)

When I first went to the Chinese Embassy in Bulgaria, the Chinese officials said to me, "Go away, you silly pachyderm! You are not a Bulgarian hippo, so you must apply for your Chinese visa in the UK." As you can imagine, I was not too pleased about this, but the good news is that they did allow Mr and Mrs H to apply for their Chinese visas after we had got our Bulgarian Residency Cards. Without BRCs, they would not allow us to do this.

Incidentally, the Chinese Embassy in Sofia is not a good place to get your Z visa, just in case you were wondering. The queues were horrendous. I finally, finally got the things stuck into our passports after going there at 5.30am. There were already 14 people ahead of me in the queue!

7. melaniefwku

melaniefwku New commenter

Agree with everyone else here- you either need to be very clear about which embassy you will apply from if it is not your home country, or you will have to travel home. And you need to be clear as early as you can because the letter they will email you can take up to a month to arrive after your initial submission of documents. Good luck!

8. nemo.

nemo. Occasional commenter

Often it is simple. You apply from home country - this includes residency. I got my Korean Visa in Malaysia as I had a work permit there. If not no I couldn't. Most countries seem to work on the principle for employment visas.

9. ickleangellady1

ickleangellady1 New commenter

Thanks so much everyone. Its nice to hear from those of you who have been through this and survived ha ha.
    I have finally sent everything over to the school but its now been four days and I have no reply from them. This is so stressful. I can see why some people talk about moving abroad but don't actually do it. I have asked them about Bangkok so I will find out when they finally do reply. My son, who is coming with me, has been told that he has to apply from his home country though so still not very sure.

10. rickpat

rickpat New commenter

I have heard that some Chinese embassies/consulates do not entertain non residents, while others are more flexible.

I was under the impression that BKK was a tough one, but last year i met someone on route to Guangzhou who was picking up his visa there.

Could it be that it also depends on the regional authorities in China?

Please keep us updated

ickleangellady1 likes this.
  11. snitzelvonkrumm

snitzelvonkrumm Occasional commenter

It is my understanding that you can apply from outside the UK if you can prove you are a resident of that country.

ickleangellady1 likes this.
  12. the hippo

Spot on, snitzelvonkrumm.

Getting your Chinese work visa is not a sprint or a marathon. It is an obstacle course, followed by mud wrestling in a minefield. As regular readers of my blog, bulgariawithnoodles.blogspot.com will already know, Mrs Hippopotamus and her overweight husband wanted to get their Chinese Z visas from the Embassy here in Sofia. The bad news is that, at the time, we did not have our BG residency cards. Getting the residency cards meant sorting out medical insurance for a year. (It reminded me of the silly old song about the old woman who swallowed a fly.)

Then I had to go back to the Chinese Embassy. At 5.30am, there were already fourteen people ahead of me in the queue, as some of them had been there all night. Finally, at about 11am, I was allowed into the Embassy and a rather strict-looking Chinese lady started scrutinizing our documents, line by line, word by word. Then she did it all over again. She was not pleased because Mrs H had renewed her passport, even though it was not due to expire for a few more years.

"Why did your wife renew her passport when it had not expired?" she asked.

"Because the Chinese Government told her to," I replied.

snitzelvonkrumm likes this.
  13. rickpat

rickpat New commenter

It's my understanding that you apply from outside the UK if you can prove you are a resident of that country, and if not you can try your luck.

I got a 'should be ok' from visa processing place in Indonesia, but didn't go through with it bcz of other complications.

If any nomadic types have had any success applying in a country where they are not res, I'd be interested to hear.

Thanks.