1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Chinese New Year

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by skills324, Jan 27, 2011.

1. skills324

skills324 New commenter

I have searched in the resource section (don't know if i am doing somethng wrong) but nothing appears to come up.
    I am looking for a powerpoint or any kind of resource explaining about the Chinese new year story, the dragon etc and the race.
    If anyone has anything/ links/ resources etc, that they ouldn't mind sharing would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

2. skills324

skills324 New commenter

http://www.topmarks.co.uk/ChineseNewYear/ChineseNewYear.aspx

http://www.activityvillage.co.uk/chinese_new_year.htm

I have found these so far- will use the craft/ creative activities, but I would like a powerpoint or some kind of interactive resource explaining the story etc.

I am turning my role play into a Chinese take away and we will be making and tasting Chinese food

3. Msz

Msz Established commenter

4. Msz

5. skills324

skills324 New commenter

Great stuff, thanks very much for sharing

6. I also have a powerpoint story that my nursery children enjoyed just yesterday. I'm sure I found it on here but if you want a copy just leave me your email addy. We had an open day for parents based on Chinese New Year today. We made chinese hats, lanterns, dragons, cards, had the animals from the great race in a small world tray with blue and green fabric to represent the river and the river bank, lucky money envelopes, chinese new year colouring pictures and we used animals masks from ********** to retell the story. At the snack table, we cooked noodles and allowed the children to eat them with chopsticks - or attempt to anyway! ha! We also watched a dragon dance, fireworks and chinese people visiting a temple on espresso. It was a fab day. Parents made some great comments on our evaluation form. The children took fortune cookies home with them as a treat. Ok, i'm ranting now. I've just had such a great day.

7. Two more things: I found a website that creates their name in chinese writing (www.chinesetools.eu) and also taught them how to say 'Gung hey fat choi'. Now i'm just showing off! :) Enjoy x

8. the apprentice

the apprentice New commenter

These all sound good ideas!! We have had 'the call' and are planning to do Chinese new year next week, so any fab, wow ideas would be great!!! Outside we have a large sand pit any ideas fo things to go in that!? Thought about putting gold coins in for them to dig out as ' lucky money' but don't want to make tenuous conections!!

9. skills324

skills324 New commenter

rich1111283@hotmail.co.uk

10. can i have a copy please
    shootingstarXXxx@aol.com
    thanks

11. I tend to look at the Cbeebies Let's Celebrate website as a first port of call for any festivals. This is lovely:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/cbeebies/letscelebrate/stories/chinesenewyearperformance/
    There are also 2 short videos of a little girl and her brother celebrating Chinese New Year in Liverpool. My class loved them!

12. Msz

13. sadika

sadika New commenter

Whoops - that last one is nice but it has the pig carrying the rat instead of the ox ...!!! Wonder if he could change it asap!!!!
    There's so much that could be done - problem is deciding on what to miss out!!! We'll be busy next week!!! The children helped to make a great dragon's head today and they can't wait to try a dragon dance with it!!!

14. Pow

Pow

Please could I have a copy , we have our inspection on Tuesday and I think we are in for a wet week! Was wondering what to put outside! , what would you do if it was raining? beryl.spence@sky.com

15. Hi.Have you tried topmarks ?.I use the story on that website all the time .Hope its useful.