1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Chinese 'educational group'

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by edmundstavros, Nov 5, 2018.

1. edmundstavros

edmundstavros New commenter

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with Dipont, in China?

There are many 'not great' reviews on *** - just wondering if anyone here has experience with them or knows those that have?

Any info would be great.

Thanks.

2. february31st

february31st Established commenter

I am sorry to say the *** is a good source of accurate information. Your experience will depend on the school you will eventually end up teaching.

I know one person who worked at an A Level cramming style of school who had a good time of it. Their biggest complaints where the students level of English was poor and it was a boring place to work. There was little student/staff interaction, students expect to be feed the information and then complete past papers. Then all the exam papers had to be marked and graded for next lesson. So basically an examination sausage factory. But no extra staff meetings and no afterschool activities to deal with.

Its a case of rolling the dice.

3. edmundstavros

Thanks! That's helpful.

4. grdwdgrrrl

grdwdgrrrl Occasional commenter

Terrible.

5. edmundstavros

Would it be possible to elaborate a bit? I'm happy to PM you if you prefer. Thanks for your input anyway!

My partner and I are interested in teaching in China; I'm a secondary teacher with 5 years UK experience; she is not a teacher but has a PhD in English Lit and 2 years university teaching experience (and a CELTA).

We have an interview with Dipont this week, but I am concerned about some of the reviews I've read. I've also been reading that international schools in China are in need of teachers, so we are thinking perhaps we should hold out and try to get a job in one of these.

People with experience in China: do you think it's likely we would secure jobs later in the year (based on the limited information you have about us)?

Thanks for your help.

6. february31st

february31st Established commenter

I will pm you some second rate job agents who should be able to find your wife a job. Plenty of standard jobs for you in Shanghai and surrounding cities at the moment.

grdwdgrrrl likes this.