1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

China Work Permit

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by seendee, Sep 13, 2018.

  1. seendee

    seendee New commenter

    Do we keep the original work permit or the school keep it for us?
    I feel strange that we only get the copy of it and the school has our original work permit (a card), saying in case they need to show to the authority if they come to check. Is it true?

    We only hold our passport with the work visa in it.
  2. the hippo

    the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

    For the five years that I was working in Shenszhen, I had a new blue-coloured Z visa stuck into my passport each year. This Z visa allowed me to work in China, whereas a business visa or a tourist visa does not give you that privilege. During the time that I was in the Middle Kingdom, I only once had a brush with the police, when they came to my apartment. Fortunately I managed to get the cops to speak to my wonderful teaching assistant and she persuaded them that I really was a bona fide teacher.

    Therefore, to answer your question, I would just carry aroound with you a photocopy of your Z visa. That is all you need.
  3. blueskydreaming

    blueskydreaming Lead commenter

    My school won't give us the work permits, because they say if the permits are lost then it will be a complete nightmare to replace them. I believe them, and I don't care that they are keeping mine. You don't need it to travel within, or enter or exit China. As above, keep a copy of your passport and visa with you in case stopped, and the business card of someone at school. If you travel within China you need your passport, as hotels register you with the local police, and you might need it to buy some travel tickets.
  4. rouxx

    rouxx Lead commenter

    My first school in China gave the booklet to us to keep on pain of death if it was lost. My second school gave me a copy, for the above reasons of it being a nightmare if it was lost. I scanned it and carried that around with me on my phone. In ten years I was asked once for the permit and they were satisfied with the phone scan. Same as Hippo, police arrived at my door asking about work permit. I fully expected to have to report at the police station later with the original and they said not to worry. Passport was needed for local travel...trains, hotels etc.
  5. amysdad

    amysdad Established commenter

    It's the visa in your passport which matters, not the card - if you have that and are stopped or at travelling, that's fine. It's worth carrying a copy of the visa and passport around rather than the originals - most are OK with that. TBH, most of the time I've seen an ID check on Chinese citizens in Beijing, I've just been waved through because I think that either they think you're a tourist or they just don't expect Westerners to carry their passport around.
  6. february31st

    february31st Established commenter

    It is good advice to keep a copy in your possession all the time of your passport page, visa page and your work visa(its is a credit card style id now with your photo). Police do check foreigners on the street in Shanghai occasionally and its a pain to sit in a police station until someone brings your passport to the office to release you.

    The police can bring up all your details on their mobile phones by using your passport number,visa numbe r.c and scanning youe work visa. They are happy to do this with a photo copy if you are stopped.

    The work visa card should be in your keeping, its not like the old FEC book. In Shanghai you need the card for transferring money to the UK. Also needed to register with the police station the first time you visit.

    The new visa card was supposed to be your id and it would replace the need for you to carry your passport to travel and book inyo a hotel. I tried it a few times but was told you still needed your passport.
  7. rouxx

    rouxx Lead commenter

    Ahhh...well scratch my comments. I would have thought that the point of a credit card ID was so that over time it could be phased in to be used as general ID in China. Therefore as the new card becomes more accepted, you are more likely to need it.

    I think most of us adults are able to look after an ID card. I could partly see the point of keeping booklets as you would be permanently transferring it from one place to another, as it wouldn’t fit in purse or wallet.
  8. amysdad

    amysdad Established commenter

    I think this might be one of those things that are different in different Middle Kingdom cities. I think in Beijing we still have the book which is kept by HR - certainly there's no plastic card or anything like that.
  9. the hippo

    the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

    As well as my curent passport, february31st, my bank also wanted my old passport, which I had not used for four years! That was in addition to my China Merchant Bank flashdrive, my bank card, the tax records from the school's Finance department, my phone number, the records I would take with me to my desert island and my inside leg measurement.

    China! An amazing place.
  10. february31st

    february31st Established commenter

    About 18months ago I had to visit the bank with 2 passports, letter from the embassy to say the numbers of my passports changed, 2 employment contracts, 6 months tax records, photo copy of my old FEC plus my new one, just so I could send money to the UK.
  11. 576

    576 Established commenter

    Never worked in China but. This is exactly how my school in Kenya does it.

Share This Page