1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

China Visa Process

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by Wanderlust15, Apr 5, 2017.

1. jad518nexus

jad518nexus New commenter

Did you get your documents legalised separately, or as a bundle ?

I have quotes from two notaries, one to do each document separately, and the other to do them as a bundle. The price difference is significant.

2. Stillstayingjohnson

Stillstayingjohnson Occasional commenter

Bundle :)

3. todd89

todd89 New commenter

Question, can a photocopy of the degree be notarised, authenticated and legalised or does it have to be the original?

I also have not been told if I have to visit the embassy in London or the consulate in Manchester.

4. ChaeSunLee

ChaeSunLee New commenter

You can notarise and legalise photocopies of your degree(s) but the Child Protection Certificates must be the originals.

Teachallover likes this.
  5. todd89

todd89 New commenter

Thanks.

Once the Chinese consulate have legalised my documents (degree and police check) and picked them up, do I then go back to obtain the z visa or does the school send me something once I've sent them the legalised documents and then I just go to china with the document they send me?

6. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

You need to scan copies to your school. They will then take a couple of weeks to apply for your visa offer letter. They will send this to you, and you will use it to apply for the Z visa.

7. todd89

todd89 New commenter

So that's two trips to the consulate for legalisation, and is it a trip for the Z visa in London, or can I go to the consulate again?

8. blueskydreaming

You go to the visa processing centre, not the consulate, in either London or Manchester: http://www.visaforchina.org/LON_EN/aboutus/263895.shtml

You can go in person, or do it by post.

If you go in person you'll have to go again to pick up the visa 4/5 days later - they don't offer a same day service.

9. todd89

todd89 New commenter

Ok, so let me get this straight.

I will first make a trip to the visa centre for the legalisation of my documents - is this a same day turn around? Second, once legalised, send documents to school, then wait for a letter then go back again to the centre to get the Z visa?

10. blueskydreaming

You go to the consulate for legalisation. Not same day turnaround: http://www.chinese-embassy.org.uk/eng/lsfw/legalization/t1021882.htm

Then you scan copies of all notarised and legalised docs to your school.

Once your school sends you the visa offer, you go to the visa centre in person, or apply by post. Again, not same day service.

Get used to this level of bureaucracy, because you'll experience it every day in China!

ismilee10 likes this.
  11. todd89

todd89 New commenter

Good to hear I do not need to go to the embassy in London, and that the Consulate in Manchester will suffice!

Last thing, does the Consulate require a copy of the photocopied degree certificate that is notarised and legalised?

12. blueskydreaming

Click on 'step by step guidance' and select the Z visa: https://www.visaforchina.org/MAN_EN/

13. peakdj

peakdj New commenter

A couple of questions for all you experts in the process...

I have found a notary who will sort the whole process to the point of legalising docs at the Chinese consulate.

He is saying he needs originals? Is this really the case, as I need to send the processed docs to China afterwards and i am a little nervous about dispatching original docs to China.

My school are also requesting letters from previous schools confirming duration of experience. They tell me they need these notarising, apostilling and legalising also. Again, I find this hard to believe as there is no real way a notary or the FCO can confirm whether or not they are genuine (which they are, in case anyone's wondering) ;)

Any advice or info appreciated.

14. averageteacherhere

averageteacherhere New commenter

Yes of course the notary needs your originals. But you only need two originals for a Z visa 1) your highest degree obtained and 2) criminal record check no more than 6 months old I think). These are the ONLY two documents you need to process your visa. You DONT need to legalise your work experience letters. I doubt the FCO would do this anyway as you say and I doubt the chinese consulate would legalise such a document.

You shouldn't need to POST your original documents to your school! You only really need to email them a scan of your legalised 2 documents and then TAKE the original with you to China whereupon the school will check them when you get there.

Note: if you get your Z visa in London, you have to provide your fingerprints (at least that is what I was told back in July/August this year so 3 months ago). If you get your Z visa in Edinburgh, you don't need to do this. In fact I have my RP and I have never given any fingerprints and when I entered China, they didn't take you index finger digital prints either!!!!

Finally, if you get your Z visa in HK, there IS a SAME DAY service which I paid an agency to do for me and it cost 3800 HKD. The 3 days service was 2600. I don't know why London doesn't offer a same day service then if other consulates can.

15. peakdj

peakdj New commenter

One more quick question -

I have letters confirming >2 years experience. What needs doing to them in terms of certification? Do they need "legalising" by the Chinese embassy, as for the other docs?

16. blueskydreaming

Nothing needs doing, just bring them with you when you come to China, and pass them to your school's HR team.

Note: Make sure they are authentic hand signed documents; if your current or former employer tries to help you out by providing a PDF doc version that's no good!

17. jennifer_boyd7

jennifer_boyd7 New commenter

I have a question about the embassy legalisation part:

They have very specific instructions for how you tie together documents with more than one page. I have 4 pages to be legalised but three documents (my degree is two pages).

Does anybody have any experience with getting turned away for not having formatted things properly? If so, what is the right way to tie these documents together as the website is not clear and just talks about being 'sealed properly' and 'blue ribbons'.

Also, is the charge £15 per document at this stage?

Thanks!

18. Smalowe

Smalowe New commenter

Hi all,

Firstly thanks for all the advice on the thread. It has been a great help. If you don't mind i would like to ask you a quick question .

What is the actual process for the consulate part? Do i have to book or can I just turn up? My solicitor has offered to organise this part but wants 300 pounds to do so. As my partner and I only have 6 documents this seems excessive if the process at the consulate is quite straightforward . It would only take us thirtytminutes to get to London.

19. ChaiLattePlease

ChaiLattePlease New commenter

I am just starting this procedure and I want to tear my hair out! It seems so confusing and overwhelming.

20. scottswain2001

scottswain2001 New commenter

China Visa Process

My employer is also saying that it is the original degree that needs to have a notarisation and apostille put on to it, but surely that can't be correct? An apostille is a big red stamp isn't it? It would deface the degree forever. I've spoken to a few notary publics who were very surprised that I wanted to get anything put on to my original degree certificate.

I've been going back and forward with the HR dept. at my employer, with her saying it needs to be the original, and me saying it can't be. Also, the Chinese govt. and UK Chinese embassy websites use the rather ambiguous description of 'original copy'!

Can anyone else please confirm whether it is the ORIGINAL degree or a notarised/apostilled COPY that needs to be submitted to the Chinese embassy?