1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Teacher Q&A will be closing soon.

    If you have any information that you would like to keep or refer to in the future please can you copy and paste the information to a format suitable for you to save or take screen shots of the questions and responses you are interested in.

    Don’t forget you can still use the rest of the forums on theTes Community to post questions and get the advice, help and support you require from your peers for all your teaching needs.

    Dismiss Notice

China Visa Process

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by Wanderlust15, Apr 5, 2017.

  1. jad518nexus

    jad518nexus New commenter

    From reading the requirements for the invitation letter required for the Z visa, my school has asked me for copies of my degree and “tefl certificate or teacher licence” to be notarised from the embassy of China (which i think refers to the process of legalisation).

    If anyone has done this before, what is regarded as the “teacher licence”? Is this a PGCE certificate, or the letter from the National College confirming I am a qualified teacher?

    Also regarding a criminal record check, what is acceptable? An International Child Protection Certificate? Or just an ACRO police certificate? Or will my current DBS certificate count? Also, does this just have to be notarised, or sent to the embassy and go through the same legalisation process as the degree certificate etc.?

    Many thanks for any help that people can offer.
  2. february31st

    february31st Established commenter

    If you have the CELTA certificate for TEFL you should definitely get that certified as any work such as EAL/ESL/TEFL requires a Degree and CELTA certificate. In the passed year several hundred TEFL/ESL teachers in China have been asked to leave the country for not having TESOL/TEFL certificates. Some TEFL teachers have been discovered to have fake degrees, or the type you can purchase on line for your lift time experiences. In fact the Visa requirements for TEFL teachers is stricter then for a classroom or subject teacher.

    So this is the reason we all now have to get every document attested and legalized due to the large number of people working in China providing fake qualifications and documents.
  3. jad518nexus

    jad518nexus New commenter

    OK. I dont intend in teaching ESL /EAl, and so do not posses any qualifications for this. Should I get my PGCe certificate legalised instead? This appears to be the closest thing to a celta certificate.
  4. Stillstayingjohnson

    Stillstayingjohnson Occasional commenter

    You should get your PGCE (and it's transcript) notarized alongside your Educational certificates. I also did QTS/NQT induction certificates This can be sent to the FCO for apostille, then the Consulate for legalization.

    DBS will suffice from DBS Scotland, as this is a 'police check' that abides by the 'police check act'. This does not need to be 'legalized'.

    This is obviously just my experience. Hope it helps.
  5. sandsy68_ms

    sandsy68_ms New commenter

    Has anyone encountered the following issue: solicitors not putting a signature on the actual DBS cert. FCO told me, there must be a wet signature on the actual cert. However a lot of solicitors I've encountered, refuse to sign the actual cert.
  6. sandsy68_ms

    sandsy68_ms New commenter

    When I rang the FCO they told me it had to be signed. So a wet signature is required. So you guys tell me what now?
  7. Stillstayingjohnson

    Stillstayingjohnson Occasional commenter

  8. CBrown

    CBrown New commenter

    I thought I had it all done and sent everything off to my school in China for them to tell me today that I then have to apply for the z visa at my Embassy here!
    I really felt like throwing in the bag and telling them to I don't want to do this anymore!
    This process is horrendous!
  9. aideng

    aideng New commenter

    I recently got the next in a long line of extra stuff signed and sent off to China. This time a notarised DBS certificate. If they come back and ask for it to be sent to the FCO and then legalised, I might legitimately have to ask whether they want me to actually be there at the start of August?
    CBrown likes this.
  10. mermy

    mermy Occasional commenter

    Honestly, it's not too bad. I did it last year. Make an appointment, make sure you have everything copied twice. Appointment will take five minutes. You leave your passport with them. 3 days later you can collect everything, it's really simple. Don't panic! It seems daunting, but it really isn't.
    CBrown likes this.
  11. Fer888

    Fer888 Occasional commenter

    They need all the information for when they get your residents visa and foreign experts certificate (not sure if it is being called something else now as it has recently changed). The z visa is just to get you into the country so they can do the next bit. Make sure you fill in the application form that you can find on the visa website. This is the site you need (the link is to the London office but there are others) http://www.visaforchina.org/LON_EN/
    CBrown likes this.
  12. blueskydreaming

    blueskydreaming Lead commenter

    Had my blood tests in the UK today.

    Took 90 minutes, 4 needles, 2 nurses, and finally 1 doctor to get any blood out of me.

    And I'll have to do it all again when I make it to China :(

    Stupid veins.
  13. Iamstillstanding

    Iamstillstanding New commenter

    I thought that when I got my legalised documents back that would be the end of the expenses for me. If I have to apply for the z visa that's means more money :(:(:( This is getting very expensive.
    CBrown likes this.
  14. blueskydreaming

    blueskydreaming Lead commenter

    The legalised docs are required in order to get the visa invitation letter. The Z visa is then purchased outside China. You need it in your passport in order to enter China. The Z visa is a single entry 30 day visa. Once inside China it's converted into a working visa, with multiple entries, maybe 12 months duration.

    It's £85 for the visa, plus processing fee.

    Processing fees:
    Standard service: £66 (including VAT)
    Express service: £78 (including VAT)
    Postal service: £90 (including VAT)

    Iamstillstanding likes this.
  15. mermy

    mermy Occasional commenter

    My school paid it back once in china. Won't yours do it?
  16. CBrown

    CBrown New commenter

    Yes my school are paying it back in China but it would have been nice to have my own money when I arrive!
    Iamstillstanding likes this.
  17. Iamstillstanding

    Iamstillstanding New commenter

    Thank you for the information
    blueskydreaming likes this.
  18. Iamstillstanding

    Iamstillstanding New commenter

    Thanks for that, i'll get receipts then and do the same.
  19. Mr. Numb

    Mr. Numb New commenter

    Hello everyone,

    I have just received an e-mail from my school telling me that is a new requirement from the Chinese Authorities that I need to have my police check (DBS) legalised by the Chinese Embassy. My school has asked me to enquire with the Chinese Embassy whether I can get it legalised with the Embassy directly or whether I have to get it notarised and FCO checked first?
    I have been calling the Chinese Embassy this morning but it seems very hard to get through to them. Is anyone able to explain exactly what is needed in order to get the DBS certificate legalised?

  20. Stillstayingjohnson

    Stillstayingjohnson Occasional commenter

    Time, effort and money...

    I have DM'd you.

Share This Page