1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

China Visa Process

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by Wanderlust15, Apr 5, 2017.

1. dbazer66

dbazer66 New commenter

If I may ask. Whare in China are you guys going to teach.?

2. february31st

february31st Established commenter

I am having my documents processed, but don't need them as I already have me Visa. But I should imagine that we "old timers" will require them notarised and legalized in the near future for Visa renewal or job transfers.

I am having difficulties with my letter from the DfE, then one that says under the 1988 Education Reform Act Sect 218 that I am a Qualified Teacher who has Passed their Probation/NQT and can now teach in a State maintained School. Anybody had this Legalised and where?

3. CBrown

CBrown New commenter

Beijing! Mask ready!

4. Wanderlust15

Wanderlust15 New commenter

Shanghai! Can't wait

5. englishjohn1

englishjohn1 New commenter

If it is a proper international school with a British head, why don't they just check your QTS online at the NTCL teacher registration website? https://teacherservices.education.gov.uk/SelfService/Login
    All they need is your name, teacher number and NI number and they can see your registered and if you have QTS or not. WHy do they need to legalise a letter that can be written by mr anybody anyway?

6. Stillstayingjohnson

Stillstayingjohnson Occasional commenter

Had my QTS cert from the DfE and NQT induction cert done. You should be able to access them online, a notary can suitably validate this ready for you to legalise.

7. CBrown

CBrown New commenter

My school has only asked for a notarised degree and DBS
    i'm glad they never asked for QTS and proof of induction too!

8. february31st

Thanks for the Link, it was a welcome surprise to find my details included.

If you are teaching in China you do not need a teaching qualification to get a visa and work as a teacher! Basically if you have a 3 year degree from a Native English Speaking Country and 2 years teaching experience on your CV you can get a job teaching in China. Hence you will find many teaching jobs offering 8000rmb/month and others offering 48000rmb/month depending on your qualification to be a teacher.

9. Stillstayingjohnson

I'll just point out that I did QTS and NQT induction, just in case, at no extra cost to myself.

CBrown likes this.
  10. CBrown

CBrown New commenter

Yes you do
    You need to prove your actual qualification!
    Why would all these people be doing something that was never asked for?

11. neeky_pea19

neeky_pea19 New commenter

Hello.
    I am also going to work in Beijing later this year, and just wanted to ask-
    when having your documents legalised at the embassy did you need to make an appointment or can you just go down there as a walk in ? I can't seem to find this information on the website and they do not answer the phone!

12. CBrown

CBrown New commenter

You can just turn up but the one in London closes at midday so get there early!

13. Stillstayingjohnson

I'm pretty sure (dead certain) that if you go to the Embassy in London, they will direct you to the Consulates legalization office.

Legalization Office of the Chinese Embassy

Office Hours: 9:00am-12:00 noon (Monday-Friday,Except British and Chinese holidays)

Address:31 Portland Place,London,W1B 1QD,London,W1B 1QD

Tel: 020-7631 1430 (09:00am-12:00 noon and 2:00pm-4:00pm by operator,during the rest of the day by auto-attendant)

sparkleshine and CBrown like this.
  14. the hippo

the hippo Established commenter Community helper

When Mr and Mrs Hippopotamus were in Qatar, we had our Chinese visas processed at the Chinese Embassy in Doha. They made a complete mess of it. When we arrived in Shenzhen, the school's HR people told us that they had given us "business" visas, instead of the proper Z visas. This meant that we had to go back to Bulgaria (no use going to the UK, as we have no property there) and so we had to start the whole rigmarole of applying for visas all over again. Nine weeks later, we finally arrived back in China.

sparkleshine likes this.
  15. sparkleshine

sparkleshine New commenter

Blimey, hippo, what a pain! You do hear horror stories about visas and HR departments...the one at my school seems a little clueless so it was a case of verifying the relevant information myself.

16. february31st

You will not be surprised to find a large percentage of the HR staff to be the female relative of the owner or their mistress. So you can imagine the effectiveness of such a department The male relatives of the owner are running the finance office. The only function of the finance office is to take money in and never pay it out.

You are best to bouble check what is required for visa applications yourself. This is the first time many HR jobsworth have inexperienced the new visa application process themselves.

17. the hippo

the hippo Established commenter Community helper

Yes, sparkleshine, it was indeed a little irritating. When I questioned the official at the Chinese embassy in Doha, she said, "You can change it when you get there." Fat chance! Unfortunately my experiences with ME sloppiness did not prepare me to do battle with the fearsome dragon that is Chinese officialdom.

Well, february31st, the HR ladies at my school in China are wonderful. They are quite modest about keeping their wings out of sight and they try not to dazzle us with their halos. The HR staff in many schools in the ME are not quite so efficient, it seems to me. Some of them even seemed to take a malicious glee in making life more difficult for the expat teachers.

18. Iamstillstanding

Iamstillstanding New commenter

Thank you Stillstayingjohnson

19. Iamstillstanding

Iamstillstanding New commenter

Same for me

20. february31st

I have my reasons to suspect that QTS/Induction documentation will be required in the near future especially when the authorities relies how many Chinese students are educated by none qualified foreign teachers. (None Qualified means no QTS and Induction).

You may need to be a fully Qualified Teacher/Induction Completed in a western country. If you are a qualified teacher in the any State of America eg California you will able to gain employment as a teacher in China. The same will be true from any province in Canada, State of Australia, countries of Great Britain, Rep Ireland, New Zealand and places like Hong Kong together with Singapore.