1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

China visa process from the UK - some guidance

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by amysdad, Feb 26, 2019.

1. englishdragon

englishdragon Occasional commenter

2. ryanpkenny

ryanpkenny New commenter

I had the same issue when doing mine, as long as the visa covers the date you out then you will be fine. For example I fly out on the 29th july and my visa runs till 14th august. The departure date from China can be left blank they didn't mind that as well as the flight number. As long as you take all your documents and are polite the staff will help you with absolutely everything.

1.Copy of your passort
    2.Application form completed and printed
    3.Work permit in Chinese and English
    4. Passport style pictures printed and cut to size (I took a few just in case but only needed the one)
    5. Anything special for your case (marriage stuff or anything like that)

I also didn't know this but my appointment was at 9:00 in the morning and I dropped off my documents but I then had to go back at 2:30 as they check your work permit with the consulate before accepting your application. You then pay for it then

Thank you hope this helps

3. suem75

suem75 Occasional commenter

Hi Ryanpkenny, which visa centre did you go to? I'm not just being nosy; it's because I'll be going to the Edinburgh one next week.

Also, regarding having no 'return' flight booked, I think it's the airlines who enforce that. I encountered that for the first time coming here to Tanzania. My employer booked the flight and had booked a 'ghost' return (a kind of fake booking, which they cancelled immediately on receiving the itinerary) which the airline demanded proof of otherwise they would've denied boarding.

4. ryanpkenny

ryanpkenny New commenter

I went to the Manchester one :)

5. medusa888

medusa888 New commenter

Hi! I'm nearing the end of the whole getting-to-China process (thank God!). Not only have we had to jump through all the hoops with all the usual documents and medical checks, chest x-rays etc, but I've also had to go through a Leave to Remove court case for my 2 children.

I've filled out the visa form and there is a page that I seem to have continually repeated myself on - Section 6 - travel information. I've put my employer down as my "inviting organisation" but also as my "sponsor - foreing/domestic". Does anyone know if this is correct?

Also - does my emergency contact need to be in the UK or Cn?

Thanks in advance!

6. medusa888

medusa888 New commenter

I'd also like to know when people actually apply for their visas? On the website it says the perfect time is precisely 1 month before you travel, but since flights are booked I don't want to risk them not having time to see me - if I put my application in 6 weeks before we travel, do you think this is adequate time to get a visa?

Also - getting a white background on the photo was hard work! We used an online background converter for £5 in the end as they declined the Jessops one!

7. ryanpkenny

ryanpkenny New commenter

I did the same thing as you did medusa88 and put them down for both sponsor and inviting party and they didn't seem to mind :) I got my visa near 2 months in advance which was totally fine as long as your visa covers the date you fly out (so no longer than 3 months from the date of issue for my visa)

I put my contact as one in the UK as I don't know anyone in china and it was fine

8. february31st

february31st Established commenter

Make sure you get your Degree Certificate notarized and legalized and not just your highest qualifications. Some staff read the guidelines and only got the MSc or PGCE done and have been now told by the UK Chinese Visa office to get their Degrees done.

9. medusa888

medusa888 New commenter

Thanks all - visa application appointment seemed to go ok! FYI for all that follow - hints I would have found helpful:

The London visa application embassy has a photo booth - presumably giving a white background if anyone is really struggling. I took along printed passport photos for each member of my family along with the application forms, but they only needed the printed photo for my son, as it had not accepted his photo on the online application form.

If applying for family S1 visas as well as printed application form (in colour) remember: original marriage certificate (and photocopy), letter from Cn inviting you over x the number of applicants (I have 3 on the family visa), original birth certificates (plus photocopies - I took the shortened and full versions - they only took the full), photocopy of the your (z work visa applicant) photo passport pages (x number of applicants), and copies of flight out details. I also took a photocopy of each person's passport on the S1 visa which I think they also used.

Basically, they submit each S1 visa application individually, so they need copies of all the supporting evidence for each applicant (including children).

If you forget the photocopies, they have a photocopier there.

I did hear one couple being turned away as they'd forgotten birth certificates.

We also had to get a Specific Issue Order to get permission to take the children out of the country - we took it along to the appointment, but they didn't use it.

Don't forget to sign the first page and page 8 of your printed application forms - and you sign for the children (in a slightly different place on p8 - please read the instructions!).

If you want your visas posted out then there is a form you need to download and fill out your bank details - you don't need to fill this out if you are picking them up.

I went yesterday - our appointment was at 11am, but we arrived just after 10am and we joined the queues no problem. We were there for a total of 2 hours and once we had paid (about £600 for 1 Z visa and 3 family visas), and we have been told our visas will be ready next Thursday - so not a long turn around.

10. suem75

suem75 Occasional commenter

I'm pretty sure it was thanks to this thread that I had a smooth visit to the visa centre in Edinburgh earlier this week. It looked like 2 out of3 applicants had incomplete or incorrect paperwork. Mine was ok because I'd followed the advice here. Well, I think it was ok - won't be sure till my passport's returned. ;)

amysdad and missmissmiss like this.
  11. jennyrosco1

jennyrosco1 New commenter

Hello!

Quick question about authenticating docs please. My degree, TEFL cert and DBS were bound in one document so only got one legalization stamp from the Chinese Embassy. My school said this was unusual but would apply for the work permit anyway.

Any thoughts?

12. amysdad

amysdad Established commenter

Probably OK, jennyrosco1, especially if HR are confident enough with it to try (they might know someone in the visa department who can wing it for them). Worst case is that "computer says no" and then you have to get them all done individually, causing a delay to your arrival - most schools here are used to that though and will hold your job for you.

13. february31st

february31st Established commenter

I would get all documentation individually notarized and validated. Better for applications for your next job. If you have your police check attached to a bundle of documents the police clearance is only valid for 6 months.

14. jennyrosco1

Thanks Amysdad....HR is sending them off so we'll see!

amysdad likes this.
  15. jennyrosco1

Just a quick update...all good. Off to the consulate tomorrow to get my visa!

amysdad likes this.