1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

China visa legalities

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by teachlivelearn, Dec 12, 2011.

1. Hi all,

Is it legal now (Dec 2011) to arrive in China on a tourist L-Visa and have it converted later to a working Z-Visa?

Can I work on the L-Visa for a while?

Is it better to arrive with the Z-Visa?

Thank you

Col

2. sorry i just noticed a thread that more or less covers my query, however can someone confirm that expats in China now pay around 11% into social security as of October 2011? That's what it say here: http://www.msimobility.com/blog/post/2011/11/30/New-Social-Security-Rules-for-Expatriates-in-China.aspx
    thanks

3. wrldtrvlr123

wrldtrvlr123 Occasional commenter

Schools are resisting paying/deducting the tax so far (at least in Beijing) and hoping to be somehow exempt from the the new law. The numbers we have been told are much less then 11%. For example, on a salary of 25K rmb per month, you would pay between 1000 and 1200 rmb for the new tax. Supposedly, there will a plan to be able to get some of this back as a refund, but none of us are holding our breaths.

4. thank you wrldtrvlr123

5. cityfree

cityfree New commenter

We've also been told that once it is collected, it will be back dated to the summer - when the law was passed. They are trying to resist but in reality don't hold out much hope. Ironically, most of the benefits would never be claimable by expat staff as you would need to be in the country for the pension, unemployment etc. No job = no visa, ergo you can't claim it!

6. The new social security deductions have huge implications for all expat teachers in China no? Now one has to remember that although the school will pay the tax, the employee will pay part of the SS.

Is that correct?

7. wrldtrvlr123

wrldtrvlr123 Occasional commenter

It seems as though it will be a relatively minor hardship/annoyance for most teachers, if you are on a decent package (around $2000 a year in deductions, some of which we may get back).
    It will almost certainly have a negative and significant effect on the international school business (schools are likely to have to make contributions in the 30 to 40% range for EACH teacher) and a knock on negative effect for businesses in general (if/when schools pass on these costs to their families and their companies).

8. cityfree

cityfree New commenter

Agreed, very minimal for us in comparison to the schools. Thankfully, mine have said that they will put all the support in place to claim back every fen we can if/when we leave China.

9. Cityfree,
    All I can say is, count your lucky Chinese stars you work for an honest and responsible employer, I envy your confidence, support and tranparency from your employer. However, I could be forgiven for thinking that you must be working in a parallel universe to one I and my 79 colleagues occupy.
    On my dark blue planet, a toxic gas has consumed the air, causing illness and fatigue. Workers are expected to perform like illegal monkeys for an exotically dressed legal organ grinder and pretend that Santa is really coming to Shanghai.
    Overseeing this grim scenario is the Master, a dark figure, hell bent on securing revenge for the Boxers, he and his brother have secretly prepared an evil concoction.... But their flight plans on KLM for are booked and will probably find a warm cosy fireside spot with their family and friends, sharing the spoils produced from the toil, of those who are trapped on the Dark Blue planet.
    Stay tuned...