1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

China to hire 100,000 Filipino English teachers

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by englishdragon, May 16, 2018.

1. englishdragon

englishdragon Occasional commenter

ruthwill500 likes this.
  2. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Why should there be any disruption, englishdragon?

520d49571cc46fa96be69bf811d1b940[1].jpg

Wannabsupawoman and Teachallover like this.
  3. february31st

february31st Established commenter

I better get my CV up to date and start looking for another job! I can be replaced by 4 Filipino's for the same cost in salary!

4. lovely.lady

lovely.lady Occasional commenter

Excellent idea! (sic)

5. binaryhex

binaryhex Lead commenter

Not a bad idea. Philippines - great place, fabulous people and great English. And the teachers will be cheap.

6. tjh102

tjh102 New commenter

This is interesting. The TAs at my previous school were qualified English teachers from the Phillipines, as are some support staff at my current school (including in my classroom). Whilst they have been fantastic to work with, their English has been nowhere near native level, and they wouldn't have been able to teach grammar, writing or reading comprehension at a Year 3 level. Two of my TAs barely scraped the IELTS mark they needed to obtain a work permit, and one failed to get the mark the first two times she took it.

Having said that... My previous school was a dodgy outfit and my current one lovely but low paying. Perhaps the more quality institutions out there get much better qualified staff (you would hope so!).

yasf likes this.
  7. yasf

yasf Occasional commenter

Looks as though China may have stiff competition for these cheap Filipino teachers:

Teacher Pay Is So Low in Some U.S. School Districts That They’re Recruiting Overseas

GLENDALE, Ariz. — The latest wave of foreign workers sweeping into American jobs brought Donato Soberano from the Philippines to Arizona two years ago. He had to pay thousands of dollars to a job broker and lived for a time in an apartment with five other Filipino workers. The lure is the pay — 10 times more than what he made doing the same work back home.

But Mr. Soberano is not a hospitality worker or a home health aide. He is in another line of work that increasingly pays too little to attract enough Americans: Mr. Soberano is a public school teacher.

I'm surprised that England hasn't jumped on the bandwagon.

8. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

9. Mr_Frosty

Mr_Frosty Occasional commenter

There are a number of Filipino and Indian 'international' schools here thi so it could be for teachers experienced in those curriculums - I see school busses for both on my way to work every morning.

yasf likes this.
  10. the hippo

Filipino English teachers? Is this really a good idea?

faedbd7a0016e8ab699be814ea3e6275--error-spelling.jpg

11. makhnovite

makhnovite Occasional commenter

What's the tagalog for music teacher?

12. february31st

13. snitzelvonkrumm

snitzelvonkrumm Occasional commenter

My understanding is that the infamous Chair of G at 4 letter school in Tianjin has embarked on a project with a UK University (hamingbirm) to train large numbers of Chinese teachers who may then work in the UK.

ruthwill500 likes this.
  14. february31st

Will this be a teacher exchange deal, the number of British teachers working in China to be replaced by Chinese teachers working in UK.

15. the hippo

So what are these Chinese teachers going to teach in the UK? English History? Spanish? Religious Studies? Latin? French? English Literature?

16. february31st

My three answers would be maths, maths or mandarin!

17. the hippo

Physics, maybe. Are there any Physics teachers left in the UK? Does anyone remember what Physics teachers are?

Or maybe Elocution?

18. february31st

I am sorry Hippo, I only had Latin teachers, single row desks with ink wells and a sound thrashing every morning.

Romanes eunt domus

19. snitzelvonkrumm

A few corrections; thank you for your message englishdragon.
    A got the wrong ingham University - it should have started with ?uck.
    Yes, and it was the infamous 6 letter school, not 4.

ruthwill500 likes this.
  20. snitzelvonkrumm