1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

China (Shanghai) Visa

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by kimberley767, Mar 27, 2012.

1. Hi everyone,
    looking for some information on visas for China. I have been offered a job in Shanghai and I know I would have a Z-visa then residency permit however I am wondering if my partner could also get a visa to come to China with me?
    Have searched many forums and all have different advice/information- some saying that their partners have been able to get the same visa with a certificate certifying their relationship etc and some people saying that they can only get a tourist visa for their partners. The Chinese Embassy has been very vague and so I am quite unsure of what to do! Thought I would post to see if anybody out there has any recent information/experience on the matter and any advice on what to do.

2. Syria1

Syria1 New commenter

Dear Kim,
    you are correct in that you must have a Z visa before you arrive in China. This visa is sponsored by your employer. If you can prove that you are in a stable relationship your partner<u> may</u> be issued with a dependent visa. You will need a letter from a solicitor setting out that the relationship is of duration and committed and also a letter from your school saying that the partner is covered in terms of medical costs, accomodation etc.
    I am slightly surprised that your School is not helping you in this process. Some Schools do not allow partners (only married couples) by the way. Can you give an oblique indication of which outfit it is?

3. Hi Syria,
    The school are saying they can help. We just have to get a letter certifying our relationship from the British embassy. The school in question has had a couple before (not married). It is a kindergarten in Shanghai...named after an important woman!