1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

China People - What Does Online Learning Look Like Right Now?

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by Helen-Back, Feb 24, 2020.

1. Helen-Back

Helen-Back Occasional commenter

Interested to know what teachers are actually doing. Are you teaching regular hours, posting assignments in the morning, conference calls, FlipGrid, etc? How are you keeping your class going? What is the expectation?

Thanks in advance.

2. djphillips1408

djphillips1408 New commenter

We are using Zoom to video conference lessons, some teachers will use this to teach "live", some will use it as Q&A sessions to support work dropped on our VLE, managebac (I tend to prerecord/precreate materials and do the latter)

Helen-Back likes this.
  3. february31st

february31st Established commenter

Its about 50/50 between online lessons and posting work to be done in the cloud drive.

Video face to face is a pain but its the best option available. Every hour of face to face takes at least 2 hours to prepare. It may seem like a soft option but is really hard work.

Helen-Back likes this.
  4. skvo

skvo New commenter

Working very long hours preparing online lessons, clear 'what to do' instructions, answering questions and giving individual feedback. Mainly in written form, face-to-face seems not to be popular with students, but they appreciate good quality videos how to solve problems and personal messages. Using TEAMS and Moodle, teaching AS and A2. Hate sitting on my bum all day...

5. Bsmart19

Bsmart19 New commenter

I’m quarantined now as flew to japan for half term.

I’m zooming into lessons for my children at school and providing all the work, then marking any online stuff and having book work sent as photos so I can plan the next lessons.

The children also at home because of travel, I’m sending lessons that are very similar with activities they can complete at home and send to me via drive. Then I mark and feedback and send the next one.

It’s very hard. It’s time consuming. Much worse than being at school with my class. Like triple work really.

Having to have someone else in my room while I’m feeding the work is also stressful!

Not certain how I can assess anything really as I don’t know how much support children are getting, especially the ones at home.

6. shazzamac

shazzamac New commenter

Working with primary we find Seesaw is working well. But yes, creating lessons is taking ages especially since all our training with group work, discussions, practical work etc has to pretty much go out the window.
    Seesaw lessons have either videos, or exemplars we make with audios to explain.
    It's hard for teachers, students and parents. Especially teacher-parents trying to help their kids and do their work at the same time!