1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

China lands probe on the dark side of the moon

Discussion in 'Personal' started by peakster, Jan 3, 2019.

1. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

More like "the Black Hole".

2. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

I still think it's a great album. ;)

As for the moon? Would I even notice if it weren't there? I suspect it might take me a couple of months.

3. Geoff Thomas

Geoff Thomas Star commenter

Given its effect on our planet and the life upon it, I suspect it would be rather sooner.

nomad and Ivartheboneless like this.
  4. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Star commenter

NASA uses the term 'dark side' on occasions. Dark being unknown rather than referring to the lack of light. Far side may make more sense now, as we find out more, although that term makes me think of the cartoons.

[​IMG]

nomad and lanokia like this.
  5. peakster

peakster Star commenter

It's an excellent album

6. Oscillatingass

Oscillatingass Star commenter

In the lead in to one of the tracks there is a recording of a man who I believe was the door man or caretaker at the recording studio. He had a strong Irish accent and said " There is no dark side of the moon. As a matter of fact its all dark". I suspect there is a link to this and the naming of the album. They are not going for the scientific/factual truth but for a human truth. There are a number of tracks on the album relating to depression/mental illness hence the resonance of the quote.

7. Oscillatingass

Oscillatingass Star commenter

Though other opinions are available. Dark Side was the fourth highest selling album of all time. Must be an awful lot of gullible people easily taken in by "pretentious carp." I am one of them.

les25paul and nomad like this.
  8. peakster

peakster Star commenter

"Wish you were here" is a masterpiece if you haven't heard it

Love Roger Waters - brilliant lyricist

les25paul likes this.
  9. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

Landing a probe on the far side of the Moon is a fantastic achievement. It demonstrates the Human spirit to explore and discover new things, The technology the Chinese developed and used (although probably copied to some degree) will pay dividends in future Space exploration and will also have spin offs for uses here on planet Earth.

Furthermore it might help us answer the question "Is there anybody out there?" :)

Sorry:oops:

10. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Well there has been a substantial amount of ''speculation'' [or wild over imagining] that the far side of the moon might be host to UFO bases, secret facilities etc.

Hopefully this might lay some of that to rest.

Though considering the ongoing existence of the flat earth movement... probably not.

11. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Thing is though - the Chinese are probably looking for mineral deposits to exploit.

12. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

Well, the Chinese SAY they've landed on the far side of the moon, but can you see the alleged landing site through your telescope? Huh? Huh? They could be having a larf! :rolleyes::D:p

lanokia and les25paul like this.
  13. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

True... North Korea did say they'd landed men on the Sun... the dark side so don't worry.

rosievoice likes this.
  14. nomad

nomad Star commenter

At 22kg* a time? :p

* The amount brought back by Apollo 11

15. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Any exploitation of minerals on the moon would have to be for non-terrestrial purposes. While launch costs are dropping they haven't reached a practical level of industrial exploitation with a view to Earth-return.

But... industrialisation of the lunar surface with a view to human expansion outwards... that could be viable.

Complex... maybe one of the most complex undertakings ever... but more viable.

16. peakster

peakster Star commenter

These people invented crispy seaweed - nothing is beyond them.

Oscillatingass likes this.