1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

China - International vs Bilingual schools?

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by venny414, Jan 17, 2019.

1. venny414

venny414 New commenter

Hello all,

Whilst I understand the difference between these two types of schools in China, I’d wondered if any members had some input in terms of the pros/cons/experiences between these two types of schools.

I have interviews for both kinds of school, I’m just doing my due diligence :)

Thanks in advance!

2. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

i personally would any school that had "bilingual" in its title. my own personal experience of an "international" Bilingual" school in Spain was total horrendous. i have not heard anyone have overly positive experiences working in bilingual schools.

3. february31st

february31st Established commenter

venny414 likes this.
  4. venny414

venny414 New commenter

I have indeed signed up for the ISR and it has proved quite useful so far. Except for the fact this particular bilingual school is too new for a review. A lot of the advice posted on here is that these newer schools quite possibly need to be avoided.

5. february31st

Correct advice so listen too it!

6. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

My old school in Shenzhen was really a "bilingual" school. I would work there again and I would recommend it to anyone who is thinking of teaching in China. Yes, a lot of the students are Chinese. Do you have a problem with that? I do not and I did not.

7. makhnovite

makhnovite Occasional commenter

Whilst agreeing with the febster in general, there are well established schools of both types in the tier one cities and they are more trustworthy but as mentioned doing your due diligence is vital!

8. sid1913

sid1913 New commenter

I've been offered a very good package at a bilingual school not in Shanghai or Beijing or Hangzhou. It would be interesting to see what you've heard as I don't have ISR

9. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Oh yes. The ISR. That collecting pot for bile, bitterness, hyperbole and sheer flipping lies. And it's all out of date.

Laughing Gravy likes this.
  10. february31st

Unfortunately Hippo I know the situation in some of the schools referenced in the ISR and the comments are correct.

The new wave of Bilingual schools that have opened in China is very much a Klondike Gold Rush. The schools are owned by Chinese Businesses People who have no idea with regard to Education. Their main motivation is to attract parents to the school then rent or sell them appartments they have built around the school in question.

The only name missing from the illustrious list of UK rent-a-name schools is “Grange Hill”. In fact the next wave of rented names are from Australia and New Zealand!

Of course having a gold plated rent-a-name above the door will attract
    ALL the students required to make a large profit.

I did hear of some Chinese parents who where not satisfied with the rent-a-name school in Shanghai and went in person to the school in London to demand they enroll their children into the school there. They where shocked to discover the answer was “NO” and they would never get their children into the school in London unless they past the entrance tests and could at least speak English.

The whole Bilingual School development in China is just a mess at the moment and best avoided until the situation has settled down.

11. amysdad

amysdad Established commenter

The problem with "bilingual" schools seems to be that the kids you get there generally aren't particularly bilingual - yet you're still expected to get the same level of results as you would teaching first language students. That's easier in Maths and Sciences, but much, much more difficult in language-heavy subjects such as the Humanities, or indeed in the primary section.

"Bilingual" usually means that the school has a licence from the Chinese authorities to teach kids who only have Chinese nationality - schools (at least in Beijing) like WAB, ISB, BSB and Dulwich don't have this so are restricted to admitting only kids with non-Chinese passports. The problem often is integrating the Chinese and international curricula successfully - some, for example, teach certain subjects in Mandarin and others in English.

Are they worth applying for? I guess it depends. They are almost all what you might consider as lower tier 2 schools - they are probably not going to disappear into a financial black hole any time soon, but some of the more bizarre management antics might surface. If you are needing experience in, say, IB, then they might well be a good way of getting a foot in the door. But do have a look around here for what people say about some of them - there are some shady antics which go on, and a couple of schools which should be avoided at all costs.

12. february31st

13. Teachallover

Teachallover Occasional commenter

Avoid the bilingual-title schools, yes. We would all like to. Unfortunately, however, there are becoming fewer and fewer non-local license schools due to a decrease in expat population and schools being unable to retain enrollment numbers. The only way to sustain international schools has been to open them up to the local community resulting in; tight control from the Government over resources and school expenditure, tedious requirements to pass frequent inspections, reduced holidays, lower retention of international teachers and therefore poorer English standards within schools that are highly Chinese-dominated by staff and family intake. If you can find one of the few remaining international license schools, go for it! International education in China is changing as we typing...

14. Teachallover

are typing...

15. rideemcowboy

rideemcowboy New commenter

Make sure it is not the school referred to in this thread -
    Please help - query about many jobs advertised today by a school in China

16. venny414

venny414 New commenter

I'm not sure that thread is active anymore. Please feel free to message me if you like.

17. amysdad

I wonder how the recent tax changes will also affect this? There will be, I think, a further reduction in the number of expats, so the competition between the non-licensed schools will increase. I could see a situation where at least one of the four remaining in Beijing will pick up the license....

18. february31st

The new tax regulations will have no impact on expat numbers who are working in China legally. Part of the new tax regulations links your bank account details to your visa and records transactions over 5000 rmb. This will make it harder for expats working without the correct visa, so may reduce the number of backpacking English Teachers in the country.

With the reduction of expat children in Shanghai (a drop of 2-3%/yr) the competition between international schools has become Dog Eat Dog. I expect some of the small international schools to change to bilingual schools just to stay open in next couple of years.

19. amysdad

By 2022 though, as I understand it, housing allowances will be taxed and also education. Overseas employers in Beijing are looking at their packages and trying to work out what to do - the general talk seems to be that they will move towards either repatriating work out of China, or replacing the expats with local, cheaper hires who don't get the benefits.

20. Teachallover

This does seem to be where we’re heading...