1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

China Email Issues - Lost Contact

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by ickleangellady1, Jul 20, 2018.

1. ickleangellady1

ickleangellady1 New commenter

Hi

Has anyone else had problems emailing their school in China. I've been emailing backwards and forwards with my school since April but two days ago my emails bounced back as unsent because:

Your message wasn't delivered to because the domain v****.cn couldn't be found.

The v**** is the school domain name I think. Do they/ can they shut this down over the summer? Would they be doing maintaince which would stop my emails getting through.

I tried again the next day and got the same thing. I'm getting very scared now. It is a very established school and is apparently run by one of the most famous companies in China so I don't understand what's going on. Has anyone else got any experience? What do you guys think is happening? Is it looking bad?

2. ejclibrarian

ejclibrarian Established commenter Community helper

Have you tried calling them? I would do that.

ickleangellady1 likes this.
  3. blue451

blue451 Occasional commenter

I'd start by checking my email address beccause in my case, it's more than possible I'd suddenly type the address wrongly.

Then I'd try to reassure myself by thinking either that if they've already sent me a flight ticket then they are definitely expecting me OR if they haven't yet sent the flight ticket then they're going to need to get in touch with me sooner or later.

Thirdly I'd do as ejclibrarian suggests and try calling.

It's highly unlikely anything is seriously amiss - email servers do have problems from time to time and that fact that it's a well established school would make me think it's a glitch rather than a catastrophe.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

4. Teachallover

Teachallover Occasional commenter

Email issues are common in China. The whole internet is! That’s why I have my new HOS, HR and department all on my wechat contact (social network in China). If you manage to get in touch it may well be worth asking if you can add them on your wechat. It’s a quicker and more effective way of communication.

5. ickleangellady1

I was worried about the cost and about looking like a frantic loon so was giving myself until Tuesday to see if I heard anything first. It's awful though. It's the first time I've done all this and it's so different to the process of getting a new job here.

6. ickleangellady1

Thanks. It's definately not a typo as I just clicked 'reply all' the same as I've always done. The addresses with @v****.cn bounce back so I'm just hoping it is just a IT type problem. It's hard not to let your imagination run wild though as I had just sent them my fully processed documents. It is a very well established school with a strong on line presence though so I'm sure I'm just panicking over nothing. I am trying to comfort myself that if they had decided they didn't want me anymore, they would let me know....wouldn't they???? They wouldn't just cut off communication....would they????? Ha ha ha I'm driving myself mad!

7. ickleangellady1

Thanks. I took your advice and have found the school on WeChat. Not sure how to actually communicate with them on there or how to find individual staff members but I figure it out. Where abouts are you going?

8. Teachallover

Teachallover Occasional commenter

I would add each of them personally if possible, wechat is just like whatsapp. My school use it as their main form of communication between staff and also parents so it will take some getting used to for me. I will certainly be turning off my notifications at home time! I’m returning to the capital of China...

9. Mr_Frosty

Mr_Frosty Occasional commenter

Also check the website, assuming it has the same domain - if the whole website is down that might give you a clue, if not there may be an alternative way to contact them.

10. Bytor

Bytor Occasional commenter

If you do need to phone a foreign landline, try using Skype calls on your mobile via wifi.

There is a charge, but far cheaper than the regular route.

ickleangellady1 and Teachallover like this.
  11. ickleangellady1

Thanks for the tip

12. ickleangellady1

Their website is fine

13. ejclibrarian

Definitely use Skype. I don't even have a landline anymore. Giving them a ring isn't looking desperate. Just say you've had two emails bounce back so you wanted to check they got the info. That's not looking crazy. It's perfectly normal.

14. ickleangellady1

I kind of tried to send the first email loads of times, I was so freaked out by it not sending (*embarrassed smiley*). I still haven't heard anything from anybody now for since Friday 13th June which, considering how quick they have been with replying in the past, is a long time. I'm going to stay calm until Monday and call them then. I'll keep you guys updated

15. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Argh! The Great Firewall of China is a pain in the neck. Most Chinese HR people will be aware of the problems and be very sympathetic.

Teachallover likes this.
  16. ickleangellady1

I may have made a breakthrough. I think it may work if I send the email through Outlook. I'll let you know

ejclibrarian likes this.
  17. shazzamac

shazzamac New commenter

I had problems with emails to/from China too. I downloaded we chat, made an ac and now do most communication that way with all sorts of people... Head, HR, my shipping company etc etc. It's soooo much quicker and more effective than email. And gives you a way to check if there are any mails you've missed.
    Good luck.

18. ickleangellady1

Did it all work out for you? Are you over there yet?

19. ejclibrarian

Good luck! Let us know what happens :)

20. shazzamac

shazzamac New commenter

I'm not there yet. But yes it's working out. Sometimes I try email, and if I don't get a reply I wechat. In fact the whole chat thing is just easier since most of the time they reply instantly and you can 'chat' back and forth rather than ask loads in 1 email.
    I even asked my Chinese shipping agent and they gave personal wechat out and it worked just fine.
    I'd say if you can't get one, then something sounds off.
    Good luck.